Author Topic: GOP lawmakers target diversity training, COVID rules in defense bill  (Read 108 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
GOP lawmakers target diversity training, COVID rules in defense bill
By Leo Shane III
 Thursday, Jun 22

Republican House lawmakers on Wednesday turned the annual defense authorization bill debate into a referendum on a host of controversial social issues, attaching limits on diversity training, transgender rights and covid vaccines to the sweeping military policy measure.

The contentious, marathon mark-up before the House Armed Services Committee featured 14-plus hours of escalating partisan fights over the bill, which outlines more than $800 billion in spending priorities and policy changes for the military in fiscal 2024.

Many of the fights mirrored provisions championed by Republicans in the defense appropriations bill unveiled a week earlier, and several lawmakers hinted even more could come in full chamber discussion on the measures expected next month.

“I hope we go far beyond this in the floor debate,” said Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fla., author of several of the most divisive measures in Wednesday’s mark-up.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2023/06/22/gop-lawmakers-target-diversity-training-covid-rules-in-defense-bill/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson