Author Topic: Its Summer… Get over it  (Read 1124 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Its Summer… Get over it
« on: June 25, 2023, 10:36:04 am »
Its Summer… Get over it
By Joe Bastardi |June 24th, 2023|1 Comment

What is summer? It is supposed to get hot. A day with no wind, temp 85. Dew point 70 in DC is below normal in mid-summer but it dang sure feels hot in the midday sun.  I am of the impression that the combination of creature comforts and less reliance likely due to changes in the physical fitness levels in the nation have made us more susceptible to swallowing ideas about how bad it is.

Americans are more overweight than underweight than let’s say in the 1950s. Testosterone levels in the 35-year-old male in the greatest generation were twice what they are now.   ( dang good thing we had that toxic masculinity in WW2, eh)   Society today is such that it would be natural, if one wishes to change society to more complacent and controllable, to convince them things are so bad now there is no way they can get by. Sad to say meteorologists have chimed in with every warning known to man and some that apparently have originated in places that are not of this world.  ( it does seem like some of the warnings are overkill of what is intuitive)

Let us take the apparent temperature.  Do you know comfort is largely a part of adaptation and tolerance?  And it is genetic too.  I watched an HS wrestler shovel a  foot of snow for over an hour with the temperature at 20 degrees and winds gusting over 20 mph in a sweatshirt and no gloves. 5 minutes out in that I am frozen to death, or think I am. So that wind chill of 10 apparently did not bother him in the least. which explains why he will be wrestling at PSU.  In my old days in college, I had a snow shoveling company  I was sweating like a pig in a sauna 10 minutes after starting to shovel.  I was younger, tougher, higher tolerance ( which wrestling at PSU or being brought up by my dad and mom did)  So how is the same scary  wind chill or apparent temperature for an 18-year wrestler no big deal when for someone else its a sign to hide?

https://www.cfact.org/2023/06/24/its-summer-get-over-it/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Its Summer… Get over it
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2023, 10:38:13 am »
We lived in Dallas in 1980 when the temperature exceeded 100 degrees for something like 55 straight days.  Then it was called summer.  Now, of course, its global warming. *****rollingeyes*****
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 11:29:17 am »
I was in Amarillo for the summer of 1980 and distinctly recall the stretch of 100 degree days. We lived in southern California when I was a child and experienced many days over 100. In contrast, it's been a cool late spring - early summer thus far where we live.

Bottom line: it's weather. Sometimes hot, cold, wet, dry, and there's not a darn thing we can do about it.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 12:21:43 pm »
We are in an interglacial period. Over the last 450,000 years there have been four glacial periods (ice ages) that lasted about 100,000 years each. There have been five interglacial periods that have lasted about 10,000 years each including the one we are in. Which has been here for around 11,400 years. We are overdue for another ice age. Enjoy the heat while it is here.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 03:17:52 pm »
We are in an interglacial period. Over the last 450,000 years there have been four glacial periods (ice ages) that lasted about 100,000 years each. There have been five interglacial periods that have lasted about 10,000 years each including the one we are in. Which has been here for around 11,400 years. We are overdue for another ice age. Enjoy the heat while it is here.

Maybe so, but the current mean global temperature is below the long-term temperature, so we are, in fact, still in a cold period and, accordingly, simple regression to the mean explains why the temperature should be increasing - it's up to the climate cultists to explain why it should not.

Offline DB

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 04:05:19 pm »
We are in an interglacial period within the CURRENT ICE AGE. That's the thing far too many people gloss over.

The planet is currently in an ice age and has been for a long time. Ice ages include both interglacial and glacial periods. Outside of an ice age it is MUCH, MUCH warmer.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 05:23:39 pm »
We are in an interglacial period within the CURRENT ICE AGE. That's the thing far too many people gloss over.

The planet is currently in an ice age and has been for a long time. Ice ages include both interglacial and glacial periods. Outside of an ice age it is MUCH, MUCH warmer.

:thumbsup:

Offline libertybele

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 06:00:22 pm »
I just spent the mid morning walking a nature park with a birding trail and several rugged off trails and one with an observation tower.  The tower has finally been repaired after several years of being closed down.  I then walked another park with trails down by the river.  Both were very peaceful and enjoyable.

Temperature is 90 with 54% humidity and 8mph winds.  I love it!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 06:15:27 pm »
NOAA Glacial-Interglacial Cycles

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/2021-11/1%20Glacial-Interglacial%20Cycles-Final-OCT%202021.pdf

We call times with large ice sheets “glacial periods” (or ice ages) and times without large ice sheets “interglacial periods.

The most recent glacial period occurred between about 120,000 and 11,500 years ago. Since then, Earth has been in an interglacial period called the Holocene. Glacial periods are colder, dustier, and generally drier than interglacial periods. Interglacial periods tend to happen during times of more intense summer solar radiation in the Northern Hemisphere. However, full interglacials occur only about every fifth peak in the precession cycle.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 06:18:45 pm by Elderberry »

Offline DB

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 07:04:24 pm »
NOAA Glacial-Interglacial Cycles

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/sites/default/files/2021-11/1%20Glacial-Interglacial%20Cycles-Final-OCT%202021.pdf

Then they've changed the definition to bury an inconvenient fact. It is colder now than it has been on average for most of the last 66 millions years:
https://scitechdaily.com/66-million-years-of-earths-climate-history-uncovered-puts-current-changes-in-context/?expand_article=1

Note that their future projections are simulations with little credibility.

Offline DB

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 07:37:04 pm »
Let's ask @Smokin Joe

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 07:59:02 pm »
We lived in Dallas in 1980 when the temperature exceeded 100 degrees for something like 55 straight days.  Then it was called summer.  Now, of course, its global warming. *****rollingeyes*****

I grew up in South Houston with no air conditioning in our home and none in school. It was hell at school trying to use fountain pens after your paper got all sweaty. I remember that summer of 1980. I just didn't remember the year. I remembered it was after I got out of the Navy in 78.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2023, 08:29:41 pm »
I grew up in South Houston with no air conditioning in our home and none in school. It was hell at school trying to use fountain pens after your paper got all sweaty. I remember that summer of 1980. I just didn't remember the year. I remembered it was after I got out of the Navy in 78.

I remember 80 very well... It was the year I graduated, and there was 4" of Mt St Helens ash on the ground. Shoveling the stuff like snow... walking around in a mask all the time (legit)... And in the air... Like smoke only way worse. All those tiny volcanic particles trapped the sun's heat... It was very close, and every hot... with no letup at night.

Awful through the early summer, blowing out just in time for late summer to heat up - and that was considered a relief, because at least the shade worked again.

An awful summer up in here.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2023, 11:26:28 pm »
Let's ask @Smokin Joe
In 1980, I was in North Dakota. Plenty of snow (nearly 3 ft.), temps in the -30s (the NWS says that temp was the low, but I think they've been 'adjusting' the low temperatures to raise the national averages) , and by then I was somewhat acclimated to the Continental Climate here. Summer was hot with a high of 104 ("but it's a dry heat"). None of the fleet vehicles had A/C, so it was '2/70' all the way (two windows down, 70 MPH), even if speed limits were 55 all over.

We got some of the fallout from Mt. St. Helens, maybe 3/4 inch total, did three days wearing masks or bandanas to breathe through, and drove as little as possible to keep the shards of volcanic glass out of the vehicle engines. It was like a heavy fog had rolled in and stayed for a few days, leaving a layer of dust on everything.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2023, 01:24:29 am »
In 1980, I was in North Dakota. Plenty of snow (nearly 3 ft.), temps in the -30s (the NWS says that temp was the low, but I think they've been 'adjusting' the low temperatures to raise the national averages) , and by then I was somewhat acclimated to the Continental Climate here. Summer was hot with a high of 104 ("but it's a dry heat"). None of the fleet vehicles had A/C, so it was '2/70' all the way (two windows down, 70 MPH), even if speed limits were 55 all over.

We got some of the fallout from Mt. St. Helens, maybe 3/4 inch total, did three days wearing masks or bandanas to breathe through, and drove as little as possible to keep the shards of volcanic glass out of the vehicle engines. It was like a heavy fog had rolled in and stayed for a few days, leaving a layer of dust on everything.

@Smokin Joe

I'm sorry, I was asking about ice ages and its definition and whether it has changed over recent years. At one time, as I remember, it was defined that glacial periods and interglacial periods all fell within an "ice age" and that we're currently in one. That there were periods millions of years ago that were far warmer than today when earth was not in an "ice age" and that there has been multiple cycles of hot and ice ages with the heat lasting the longest. From the looks of it now, all of the long term temperature plots and other info that showed that have slowly been purged to imply it is warmer than ever now - which is a lie.

@Elderberry

Here's one of the few that still call it an ice age:

"The Quaternary glaciation, also known as the Pleistocene glaciation, is an alternating series of glacial and interglacial periods during the Quaternary period that began 2.58 Ma (million years ago) and is ongoing.[1][2][3] Although geologists describe this entire period up to the present as an "ice age", in popular culture this term usually refers to the most recent glacial period, or to the Pleistocene epoch in general.[4] Since Earth still has polar ice sheets, geologists consider the Quaternary glaciation to be ongoing, though currently in an interglacial period."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 01:26:58 am by DB »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2023, 04:59:52 am »
@Smokin Joe

I'm sorry, I was asking about ice ages and its definition and whether it has changed over recent years. At one time, as I remember, it was defined that glacial periods and interglacial periods all fell within an "ice age" and that we're currently in one. That there were periods millions of years ago that were far warmer than today when earth was not in an "ice age" and that there has been multiple cycles of hot and ice ages with the heat lasting the longest. From the looks of it now, all of the long term temperature plots and other info that showed that have slowly been purged to imply it is warmer than ever now - which is a lie.

@Elderberry

Here's one of the few that still call it an ice age:

"The Quaternary glaciation, also known as the Pleistocene glaciation, is an alternating series of glacial and interglacial periods during the Quaternary period that began 2.58 Ma (million years ago) and is ongoing.[1][2][3] Although geologists describe this entire period up to the present as an "ice age", in popular culture this term usually refers to the most recent glacial period, or to the Pleistocene epoch in general.[4] Since Earth still has polar ice sheets, geologists consider the Quaternary glaciation to be ongoing, though currently in an interglacial period."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation
I guess I missed the question, and just described 1980 weather like so many others on the thread.

The Pleistocene Epoch is generally considered to have terminated at the end of the Younger Dryas, and the remainder (after the last glacial maximum) is called the Holocene. If you go by Greenland Ice Core Data, the temperature graphs look like this:

Although the term "Ice Age" could be applied to virtually any period of glacial maximima, the Holocene is considered to be after the last "Ice Age". Yes, the planet has been warmer, even in the Holocene, and that well before the appearance of the SUV, internal combustion engine, etc. (at least as far as we know, anyway).

But, you are right, the planet has been considerably warmer in the past. The coupling with CO2 in the atmosphere does not seem to be a close association.

Hence the folks in a dither nowadays tend to concentrate on data like temperatures since 1820 or some such, ignoring or sometimes misconstruing the multiple glacial maxima recorded in data like the Vostok Ice Cores:

Presented with the authors caption:
Figure 1 Temperature and CO2-co-variance in the Vostok ice core [1]. The general picture is one of quite strong-co-variance, but in detail there are some highly significant departures where temperature and CO2 are clearly de-coupled. This is the focus of this post. The grey band is the part of the ice core record examined here. Note that in this chart and all others time is passing from right to left, counter to the normal geological convention, which is a restriction imposed by XL charts that have two primary y-axes. An alternative image showing time passing from left to right is provided in the Appendix at the end of this post.
http://euanmearns.com/the-vostok-ice-core-and-the-14000-year-co2-time-lag/
Instead, climate cultists, those inducing panic, focus on the shortest string of data, the last 200 or so years, and make wild predictions of apocalypse.

The long term data is still out there. Not all of what was published has been purged. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 05:01:12 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2023, 06:07:48 am »
Thank you. They also conveniently start at 1979 for a lot of graphs showing an upward trend. They never mention that at the time they thought it was the start of another glaciation period because of the unusual cold. So naturally everything trended higher from that low. Very dishonest.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2023, 08:28:17 am »

I was there too.  I looked it up.  That year, Dallas saw 42 consecutive 100 F days, from June 23 to Aug. 3.   For the year it was over 100 F for 69 days.  I remember it was toasty.  Night time was not much of a relieve.  Mid to high 80's.   

Funny I don't remember the fear mongering over a collapse of the power grid.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 08:30:32 am by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline berdie

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2023, 08:49:21 pm »
I was there too.  I looked it up.  That year, Dallas saw 42 consecutive 100 F days, from June 23 to Aug. 3.   For the year it was over 100 F for 69 days.  I remember it was toasty.  Night time was not much of a relieve.  Mid to high 80's.   

Funny I don't remember the fear mongering over a collapse of the power grid.

As far as I'm concerned, a lot of the power grid issue is due to an increase in population. Add that to an insane desire to switch to solar/air supplements by our "wise ones".

For some reason the summer of 1980 doesn't stand out in my mind. But the winter of 1981 sure does! I hope history doesn't repeat itself. 1981 wasn't as brutal as 2021. I believe 2021 had to do with the grid. Although, people will disagree, I think it's pretty darned amazing they kept the grid up at all in 2021.

Offline DB

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2023, 08:56:42 pm »
That's because engineers use to design the power grid instead of politicians.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2023, 09:42:07 pm »
I'm very grateful we haven't had to turn on the A/C yet this spring/summer.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org