Author Topic: Massive computers chewing up gigawatts of energy to support AI  (Read 365 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Massive computers chewing up gigawatts of energy to support AI
By Petra Stock / 22 June 2023

What are the climate costs and benefits of machine learning?
Training for a large language model like ChatGPT-3 creates around 500 tonnes of greenhouse gas pollution due to massive computers chewing up gigawatt hours of energy.

Experts say even using generative artificial intelligence to respond to user prompts requires orders of magnitude more power than a Google search.

So while machine learning can be used for tasks like climate modelling and integrating higher shares of renewable electricity into the grid, researchers say the use of the technology comes with a climate cost.

The issue raises questions about the appropriate uses for the technology and the potential for smaller, more efficient models capable of delivering the same performance using less power.

Professor Simon Lucey, Director of the Australian Institute for Machine Learning at the University of Adelaide, describes the environmental impact of machine learning as a “double-sided coin”.

https://cosmosmagazine.com/technology/ai/massive-computers-chewing-up-gigawatts-of-energy-to-support-ai/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Massive computers chewing up gigawatts of energy to support AI
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 09:01:36 pm »
Now, tell me that monitoring the Climate Credit Scores of billions somehow justifies this power use.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis