Author Topic: There's a Serious Problem With Electric Pickup Trucks, New AAA Study Reveals  (Read 819 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

There's a Serious Problem With Electric Pickup Trucks, New AAA Study Reveals
Story by AutoGuide.com Staff • 2h ago

A recent study conducted by the AAA Automotive Engineering research team has shed light on an important aspect of electric vehicles (EVs). The research findings indicate that EVs experience a significant reduction in range when loaded with heavy cargo. In particular, the study examined the Ford F-150 Lightning, a popular electric pickup truck, and revealed that its range decreased by 24.5% when carrying 1,400 pounds of sandbags, stopping just short of its maximum capacity. This discovery emphasizes the importance of understanding the limitations of EVs and aims to alleviate concerns surrounding range anxiety among potential EV owners.

The Study's Findings
The AAA study conducted extensive testing on the Ford F-150 Lightning and found that when loaded with 1,400 pounds of sandbags, the vehicle's range decreased from 278 miles to 210 miles. This reduction in range highlights the impact of excess weight on the performance of EVs, reinforcing the understanding that hauling heavy cargo requires more energy to move.

Greg Brannon, the director of AAA Automotive Engineering, acknowledged the significance of the range reduction but emphasized that the majority of buyers are likely to use their vehicles with lighter loads, resulting in a smaller decrease in range. Therefore, while the study's findings are noteworthy, it's important to consider real-world usage scenarios when evaluating the impact on EV range.

Driving Behavior and Physics

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/there-s-a-serious-problem-with-electric-pickup-trucks-new-aaa-study-reveals/ar-AA1cYDlF?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=139b40c387e4441991f92cd54de0ec37&ei=25
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
IOW, if you have work to do, get a diesel. If you are virtue signalling and waving your pickup (one that may never leave pavement). EVs are great! Yadda, yadda, yadda...and they never once mentioned running the heater in even modest (above zero) cold. Considering a 4-man work crew can easily run 800-1000 lbs, that doesn't leave much weight for gear, tools, or materials.

Real work trucks still have to get the job done, haul stuff, and work past the pavement's end. For that, gasoline or diesel will remain the fuels of choice.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

when carrying 1,400 pounds of sandbags, stopping just short of its maximum capacity.

*snort*

That sure as hell ain't a yard of gravel. Nor two pallets of grain. Nor a cord and a half of wood hauled out on 25 miles of 4wd only two track, just to hit the highway to get home.

That ain't a truck. Heck I'd do all that with the truck out in the yard, and it's a heavy half.

Online Smokin Joe

*snort*

That sure as hell ain't a yard of gravel. Nor two pallets of grain. Nor a cord and a half of wood hauled out on 25 miles of 4wd only two track, just to hit the highway to get home.

That ain't a truck. Heck I'd do all that with the truck out in the yard, and it's a heavy half.
Want to bet they did it without lights, heater, and definitely without an AM radio...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Want to bet they did it without lights, heater, and definitely without an AM radio...

But it WAS 80 degrees or better, right? On a flat track?  :silly:

Online Smokin Joe

But it WAS 80 degrees or better, right? On a flat track?  :silly:
On a flat, paved track, no less.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

On a flat, paved track, no less.

It sure as heck ain't no truck.

Online Smokin Joe

It sure as heck ain't no truck.
Well, at least the batteries are included... :shrug:

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

LOL! Yeah... My kids like that.  :beer:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Ain't even talked about the sawbox yet - I don't know what it weighs, but there is no way two strong men are gonna pick that up and carry it off...  That's just my pickup's EDC

Not to mention all the stuff stuffed in the hidey holes in the cab too.. That's all BEFORE the load.

Online Smokin Joe

Ain't even talked about the sawbox yet - I don't know what it weighs, but there is no way two strong men are gonna pick that up and carry it off...  That's just my pickup's EDC

Not to mention all the stuff stuffed in the hidey holes in the cab too.. That's all BEFORE the load.
Yep. You know it didn't have half the stuff a working truck has on board from day to day.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
The F150 has always been a city truck. In addition to its reduction when hauling a load, I want to see the reduction when towing a load. There are no immediate future plans for a EV F250.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

There are no immediate future plans for a EV F250.

Of course there's not.  :laugh:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

There's a Serious Problem With Electric Pickup Trucks, New AAA Study Reveals
Story by AutoGuide.com Staff • 2h ago

A recent study conducted by the AAA Automotive Engineering research team has shed light on an important aspect of electric vehicles (EVs). The research findings indicate that EVs experience a significant reduction in range when loaded with heavy cargo.
I

@rangerrebew

Say WAT??????

Hooda thunk  hit?

Doan dey  alsew hav a xtra tank fur fairy farts,what dublies de range?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
IOW, if you have work to do, get a diesel. If you are virtue signalling and waving your pickup (one that may never leave pavement). EVs are great! Yadda, yadda, yadda...and they never once mentioned running the heater in even modest (above zero) cold. Considering a 4-man work crew can easily run 800-1000 lbs, that doesn't leave much weight for gear, tools, or materials.

Real work trucks still have to get the job done, haul stuff, and work past the pavement's end. For that, gasoline or diesel will remain the fuels of choice.

@Smokin Joe

I still have my 06 GMC 3/4 ton long bed extended  cab pu,even though I don't drive it more than maybe once a month  now,mostly to keep everything lubed up. Has a ball hookup for a 5th wheel in the bed over  the rear axle.

Last year of the real Cummings Diesel with no  smog devices,and  a genuine 6 Speed Allison auto trans. It is a 4x4 with  3:73 gears,and it is paid for.

People are offering me stupid money to try to get me to sell it so they can pull their horse trailers and not have  to spend 70 grand for a new  one with a weaker transmission that requires a special fluid tank to drive,but I ain't selling. Who knows,my health might start to get better,and I can make  some road trips again? It's paid for and doesn't  eat anything,so no big deal about  it sitting parked.

My daily  driver is a 2022 Toyota Camry  with the  4 cylinder 200 hp engine  and  8 speed auto overdrive trans. I normally  get between 43 and 45 MPH local driving,and have gotten as  high as 53 mph on road trips on interstates.

One interesting thing I discovered is that if I run regular unleaded gas,I  get about 4 to 5 mpg less than if  I run premium.

Because of this I have discovered some gas stations  are selling regular unleaded as Premium unleaded. This is,of  course,due to the distributor selling it to the stations as premium instead of regular. Somebody in gooberment  really needs to look into this. You  couldn't tell they were doing this back in the days of 15-16 mpg cars,but you  sure can these days.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Smokin Joe

LOL!

Good one!

Offline Idiot

You forgot the 500 lbs of iced down beer.  happy77