Author Topic: Great Food Reset: U.S. Agriculture Dept approves nation’s first ‘lab-grown’ meat from ‘steel tanks’  (Read 746 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Great Food Reset: U.S. Agriculture Dept approves nation’s first ‘lab-grown’ meat from ‘steel tanks’ — chicken made from animal cells

NYT: U.S. Approves the Sale of Lab-Grown Chicken - The Agriculture Department granted approval to cultivated meat producers for the first time in the United States, representing a watershed moment for the alternative protein industry.

AP: For the first time, US regulators on Wednesday approved the sale of chicken made from animal cells, allowing two California companies to offer “lab-grown” meat to the nation’s restaurant tables and eventually, supermarket shelves. The Agriculture Department gave the green light to Upside Foods and Good Meat, firms that had been racing to be the first in the US to sell meat that doesn’t come from slaughtered animals — what’s now being referred to as “cell-cultivated” or “cultured” meat as it emerges from the laboratory and arrives on dinner plates. ...

Cultivated meat is grown in steel tanks, using cells that come from a living animal, a fertilized egg or a special bank of stored cells. In Upside’s case, it comes out in large sheets that are then formed into shapes like chicken cutlets and sausages. ...Good Meat products are created from a master cell bank formed from a commercially available chicken cell line.

https://www.climatedepot.com/2023/06/23/u-s-agriculture-dept-approves-nations-first-lab-grown-meat-from-steel-tanks-chicken-made-from-animal-cells/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Livestock producers need to step up right now and make sure this crap is labelled. They need to trademark "Beef", "Chicken", etc. as being that produced directly from the carcass of an animal and NOT that produced in a vat. Otherwise, the lab growers will be using the same names for what they put out and claiming it is genetically the same. Also, that all lab produced "meat" be labelled clearly that it is vat grown, and not from an animal.

Sure, there are those who will buy this stuff, thinking in some way they are doing good. There always are. But any time someone wants to dose this with mRNA or some other lovely contaminant, it will be a fait accompli before it is heard about.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

I ain't sweating it... I know my meat's a chicken, because I can see it walking around the yard.

I can't believe anybody knowingly buys this crap.

Offline libertybele

I ain't sweating it... I know my meat's a chicken, because I can see it walking around the yard.

I can't believe anybody knowingly buys this crap.

If it's not labeled as 'lab-grown' how would one know?  We have foods that are genetically altered and that information is in very small print.  The FDA (lot of good they are anyway) is going to make all kinds of claims that this junky food is perfectly safe to eat.

It will soon come to be that unless you raise your own chickens, pigs, cattle, and grow your own crops, they are going to kill us off with all the modifications to our foods. 

Then there's the COVID vaccines .... I don't think we still know the ramifications.

I'm glad I got to experience the life that I did being born in the 50's .... I fear for my children and grandchildren.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline corbe

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

If it's not labeled as 'lab-grown' how would one know?
Exactly. This administration is going to screw the consumer.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline libertybele

Exactly. This administration is going to screwing the consumer.

Fixed it.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

If it's not labeled as 'lab-grown' how would one know?  We have foods that are genetically altered and that information is in very small print.  The FDA (lot of good they are anyway) is going to make all kinds of claims that this junky food is perfectly safe to eat.

It will soon come to be that unless you raise your own chickens, pigs, cattle, and grow your own crops, they are going to kill us off with all the modifications to our foods. 

Then there's the COVID vaccines .... I don't think we still know the ramifications.

I'm glad I got to experience the life that I did being born in the 50's .... I fear for my children and grandchildren.

You should use your matriarchal position to encourage the family to move...

Get em set on land out in the country, show em how to raise up their own meat and milk and cheese. How to raise a garden....

The way things are going you will be thought of in saintly terms, your legacy affirmed. In my mind, there is nothing better that could be done for a family anyway, not to mention the way things are going, whiich makes staying all the more dire.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
Yuck, yuck, yuck!
At the very least, people should find a local butcher and only purchase meat from them. (Or maybe that’s a perk of living out in the boonies. We know the butchers by name and the people who raise the animals.)
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline libertybele

You should use your matriarchal position to encourage the family to move...

Get em set on land out in the country, show em how to raise up their own meat and milk and cheese. How to raise a garden....

The way things are going you will be thought of in saintly terms, your legacy affirmed. In my mind, there is nothing better that could be done for a family anyway, not to mention the way things are going, whiich makes staying all the more dire.

@roamer_1 Much easier said then done.  My health isn't the best and I have to accept, enjoy as much as I can and appreciate where I'm at.  It is what it is.  I should have listened to my gut about 6 years ago and moved away from here.  There's no turning back now.  God is in control.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 10:37:23 pm by libertybele »

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1 Much easier said then done.  My health isn't the best and I have to accept, enjoy as much as I can and appreciate where I'm at.  It is what it is.  I should have listened to my gut about 6 years ago and moved away from here.  There's no turning back now.  God is in control.

I get it. My kid is building a house right now... And I'm walking around with a rollater - which needs a dang cup holder by the way. Everything on the planet has a cupholder except that damnable thing.

But my point is... He still calls me all the time so I can explain the steps he needs to take, and to consider options. It sucks I can't be there doing for him. But if he decided to head for the sticks, you can bet money he'd move heaven itself to drag me and my mamma along. We're the brain trust.

You should put em up to it @libertybele ... Get it on the table.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2023, 10:43:56 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline libertybele

Yuck, yuck, yuck!
At the very least, people should find a local butcher and only purchase meat from them. (Or maybe that’s a perk of living out in the boonies. We know the butchers by name and the people who raise the animals.)

You are well set.  There were a couple of farmers that had a couple of cattle, pigs, chickens when we first moved here. Since then families have sold off property and animals to stay afloat. The ranchers that were around here have gone out of business and sold off their property. It's very sad. Even the dairy farmers have left this area.

Farmer Joe's does align themselves with FL/GA ranchers and those that grow local produce and that's about all we have around us and I was excited when they came to the area.

I live in a city that has seen tremendous growth...this is no longer a hidden gem in the south on the Gulf.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
You are well set.  There were a couple of farmers that had a couple of cattle, pigs, chickens when we first moved here. Since then families have sold off property and animals to stay afloat. The ranchers that were around here have gone out of business and sold off their property. It's very sad. Even the dairy farmers have left this area.

Farmer Joe's does align themselves with FL/GA ranchers and those that grow local produce and that's about all we have around us and I was excited when they came to the area.

I live in a city that has seen tremendous growth...this is no longer a hidden gem in the south on the Gulf.

Perhaps this could be a resource for you.  happy77

https://www.goodranchers.com/
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Online mountaineer

ITALY PIONEERS BAN ON LAB-GROWN MEAT
Dec. 28, 2023

Italy recently made history by becoming the first European Union nation to officially ban the production and sale of lab-grown or cultivated meat, sparking a global debate about the intersection of tradition, innovation and the future of food. The legislation, enacted in November 2023, restricts the cultivation of meat in laboratory bioreactors and places limitations on the use of labels describing and marketing plant-based protein as meat.

As one might expect, the Italian government’s action has been met with support and criticism. Italy’s Agriculture Minister Francesco Lollobrigida proudly declared the nation’s commitment to preserving its rich food traditions while protecting its farmers. The law, viewed as protectionist by some, aims to safeguard the age-old relationship between food, land and the human work that has characterized Italy for millennia. Lollobrigida stressed the need to protect workers, agricultural entrepreneurs, and citizens who have the right to “eat well.”

One of the key motivations behind the ban appears to be the desire to shield Italy’s traditional agricultural sector from competition with high-tech alternatives. Italian farmers, who lobbied intensively for the ban, see it as a means to eliminate their high-tech competitors in the cultivated meat industry. This protectionist stance has sparked discussions on whether such measures hinder technological innovation or represent a legitimate effort to preserve cultural
heritage.

In contrast to Italy’s approach, some countries, including the United States, are actively exploring and encouraging the development of lab-grown meat technology. Singapore currently stands as the only country where people are consuming cell-based meat, and the USDA and FDA in the United States have approved two types of cell-based chicken. ...
Protect the Harvest
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org