Author Topic: Coal To The Rescue In Britain As Solar Panels Also Work Too Poorly In The Summertime  (Read 371 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Coal To The Rescue In Britain As Solar Panels Also Work Too Poorly In The Summertime
By P Gosselin on 23. June 2023

Those who refuse to learn by reading will end up learning by feeling. Great Britain is finding out that going without coal power is a lot easier said than done.

They don’t work well in the winter either. Photo: P. Gosselin

Summer temperatures in the UK have boosted the demand for electricity, and so the country has “started burning coal again for electricity generation for the first time in a month and a half,” reports Blackout News here, citing the Telegraph, June 13, 2023.

Apparently in the summery weather, Britain’s solar panels have refused to cooperate. In the heat, their efficiency dropped considerably and so the country’s electricity demand could not be met without coal power.

Coal to the rescue

https://notrickszone.com/2023/06/23/70061/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Duh!!  The latitude of UK is 55 degrees North. That is 10 degrees farther north than Marquette, MI!  Marquette is on the shore of Lake Superior, and damned cold.  Sunlight comes in on a shallow level, even on June 21st.

What kind of mutton head expects solar power to work there?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Duh!!  The latitude of UK is 55 degrees North. That is 10 degrees farther north than Marquette, MI!  Marquette is on the shore of Lake Superior, and damned cold.  Sunlight comes in on a shallow level, even on June 21st.

The kind that get their pockets lined with CHICOM $$$.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

The kind that get their pockets lined with CHICOM $$$.

:yowsa:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

We're at 48 I think... And solar works here... And I have friends up in Alberta and BC who are off-grid.

General rule of thumb is a third to twice as many panels, and twice the batteries called for, depending on your usage... And with that, STILL having to fire up the jenny from time to time... But solar does work.

Where it doesn't work is at the utility level, and I don't think it ever will. It is too ephemeral to be relied upon. Maybe that's different down by you, I dunno.

But here, in a distributed fashion, it would be a good supplement... backstopped by grid or jenny.
If a house can be self-sufficient say, 50% of the time in a year, that's a whole lot of weight taken off the grid, if every house could make that brag... Even 30% would be worth looking at.

That's something like 8-10 panels here, and 4-6 batteries, with the grid handling 220v.

That is probably the way forward for solar and wind. Distributed... taking weight off the grid at the end point.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@roamer_1 That's another thing...it seems UK gets a lot of rain....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

@roamer_1 That's another thing...it seems UK gets a lot of rain....

@Cyber Liberty

Right. And the PacNW gets no sun... all winter long. That's why you need to double the batts and panels.

Avg off grid houses up in here have 12 to 16 panels and 6-8 LIron batts. Which is crazy big in the summer... but passin fare in the winter.