Author Topic: Federal Policy Is Fueling The Wildfires It Wants To Prevent  (Read 169 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

WRITTEN BY SHAWN REGAN ON JUN 23, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

Federal Policy Is Fueling The Wildfires It Wants To Prevent

As wildfires rage across Canada, Americans on the East Coast and in the Midwest face a public-health threat familiar out West: wildfire smoke.

Tiny soot particles can penetrate the lungs and even cross into the bloodstream, causing respiratory and heart problems.

Yet environmental laws stifle one of the most effective tools to reduce wildfire pollution: prescribed fires. [emphasis, links added]

Prescribed fires are deliberate burns set under controlled conditions to remove dense vegetation before it becomes fuel for a more destructive inferno.

Prior to European settlement, Native American communities routinely used similar burning practices, but the federal government largely stamped out intentional burning in the early 20th century.

https://climatechangedispatch.com/federal-policy-is-fueling-the-wildfires-it-wants-to-prevent/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson