Author Topic: Hollywood Climate Summit: A Pompous Spectacle of Celebrity Virtue Signaling  (Read 161 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Hollywood Climate Summit: A Pompous Spectacle of Celebrity Virtue Signaling
13 hours ago Charles Rotter

It’s Hollywood again – the land of dreams and grand narratives – preparing to host another edition of its self-appointed and glamorous Hollywood Climate Summit. The purpose, we are told, is to tackle climate change head-on and prompt the entertainment industry to drive this message home.

The Hollywood Climate Summit is an annual multi-day conference that creates a community space for thousands of cross-sector entertainment and media professionals to take action on climate. We gather filmmakers, executives, artists, activists, climate organizations, scientists, and other experts for interactive action-oriented programming and professional development opportunities. Our main conference is located in Los Angeles, and we’ll have hybrid workshops and virtual networking opportunities for international audiences.

It’s the season of celebrity activism, with the big names of the silver screen poised to lend their voices to the cause of climate change. The two-time Academy Award-winning actress, Jane Fonda, is set to speak at the event, following her various efforts to raise awareness on the topic, from her ‘Fire Drill Fridays’ protest movement to the books she has authored. Do these high-profile gatherings ever actually aid the supposed cause they claim to represent or are they merely performative virtue signaling under the guise of environmental concern?

Let’s first understand that climate change is a complex issue that few if any of these high-paid mannequins remotely understand. It involves scientific theories and models that attempt to predict long-term global effects, and these predictions vary widely and are far from being certain, as well as often being downright wrong. While some alarmist researchers warn of impending catastrophe, (ie. Mann) others are more sedate and either believe whatever minor changes that might be occurring are part of ordinary natural fluctuations, (Soon) or are not happening at anything close to a catastrophic pace (Pielke Jr).

It’s critical to remember that economic and political interests play a significant role in shaping the public narrative on climate change.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/06/23/hollywood-climate-summit-a-pompous-spectacle-of-celebrity-virtue-signaling/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson