Author Topic: A Comprehensive Critique Of Net Zero Fantasies  (Read 199 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
A Comprehensive Critique Of Net Zero Fantasies
« on: June 24, 2023, 10:41:54 am »
A Comprehensive Critique Of Net Zero Fantasies
June 22, 2023/ Francis Menton

As yet another example of a bureaucracy gone completely nuts, consider the International Energy Agency.  IEA started out in the 1970s as a consortium of Western nations organized to counteract the oil price shocks imposed by OPEC in those years.  That seemed reasonable enough.  But somewhere along the line, gradually, the mission, let us say, evolved.  Today, IEA is fairly described as a center of advocacy for elimination of fossil fuels from the world’s energy supply.

In May 2021 IEA published a big Report with the title “Net Zero by 2050: A Roadmap for the Global Energy Sector.”   You might get the impression from the title and some of the text that this could be just a few helpful “how to” tips on reducing emissions.  But you don’t need to get too far into the document to figure out that it’s really another one of those crazed demands for immediate desperate action to save the planet from impending doom — the difference being that this one is directly funded by essentially every major Western government.  From the Foreword:

We are approaching a decisive moment for international efforts to tackle the climate crisis – a great challenge of our times. The number of countries that have pledged to reach net‐zero emissions by mid‐century or soon after continues to grow, but so do global greenhouse gas emissions. This gap between rhetoric and action needs to close if we are to have a fighting chance of reaching net zero by 2050 and limiting the rise in global temperatures to 1.5 °C.  Doing so requires nothing short of a total transformation of the energy systems that underpin our economies.

https://www.manhattancontrarian.com/blog/2023-6-22-a-comprehensive-critique-of-net-zero-fantasies
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson