Author Topic: NASA kills its electric plane’s flight plan, citing safety concerns  (Read 739 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Popular Science by  Rob Verger 6/23/2023

The decision not to fly the experimental X-57 came about because the agency discovered that the propulsion system had the potential to fail and put people at risk.

The X-57 in 2021. NASA/Lauren Hughes

NASA said today in a conference call with reporters that it would not ever be flying its experimental electric aircraft, the X-57, citing safety concerns that are insurmountable with the time and budget they have for the project. The X-57 program will wind down without the aircraft ever going up into the sky.

The agency had previously hoped to fly the aircraft, which would be powered by batteries and electric motors, sometime this year. While the original plans had called for the research plane to eventually have more than a dozen propellers, NASA had scaled back those plans too, intending to fly the plane in what they called Modification 2 form. Mod 2 involved the plane having just two propellers, with one on each wing. The news today means that the plane will never fly, not even in Mod 2 form.

NASA said that the reason behind permanently scrubbing the flight is safety and time. “Unfortunately, we recently discovered a potential failure mode in the propulsion system that we determined to pose an unacceptable risk to the pilot’s safety, and the safety of personnel on the ground, during ground tests,” Bradley Flick, the director of NASA’s Armstrong Flight Research Center in California, said in the call. “Mitigation of that failure would take the project well beyond its planned end at the end of this fiscal year, so NASA has decided to end the project on time without taking the vehicle to flight.”

More: https://www.popsci.com/technology/nasa-cancels-x-57-flight/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
And a great big "Attaboy!" goes out to NASA!

I can't remember the last time a government agency owned up to having made a mistake,and dropped the project instead of spending millions more to try to correct the mistake so they wouldn't be wrong.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
And a great big "Attaboy!" goes out to NASA!

I can't remember the last time a government agency owned up to having made a mistake,and dropped the project instead of spending millions more to try to correct the mistake so they wouldn't be wrong.
Truth, but how much got whizzed down that rathole first?

Well, Wilbur, I guess you were right, after all. (Orville)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Truth, but how much got whizzed down that rathole first?

Well, Wilbur, I guess you were right, after all. (Orville)

@Smokin Joe

The only people who never make mistakes are the people who never do anything.

Those who risk nothing,learn nothing.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
@Smokin Joe

The only people who never make mistakes are the people who never do anything.

Those who risk nothing,learn nothing.
While I agree in principle, there is such a thing as a calculated risk.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
While I agree in principle, there is such a thing as a calculated risk.

@Smokin Joe

Yes,there is,and sometimes even VERY intelligent and educated people lose that bet.

It should also be noted that there is a WIDE variety of calculated risks,ranging from "Who  cares?" to "Where are the remains to be buried?"

Most lean towards the  "Who cares" category or most of us wouldn't be alive  to read this post.