Author Topic: Washingtonians fed up as ODs claim over 2,800 lives in state that decriminalized drugs  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Kamaji

Washingtonians fed up as ODs claim over 2,800 lives in state that decriminalized drugs

By Marjorie Hernandez
June 23, 2023

Drug overdose deaths are skyrocketing in the Northwest, causing woke Washingtonians to rethink their soft stance on punishing drug dealers and abusers, who are legally allowed to shoot up on the streets of Seattle.

Washington state now has the fastest-rising drug overdose rate of any state, soaring to 21.9% over the last 12-month period ending Jan. 31, according to a new report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The study says those numbers are underreported and the state lists 2,850 predicted deaths, a 24% increase in a year.

Even those who have been personally affected by the fentanyl crisis gripping Washington are shocked by the numbers, but quickly acknowledge cracks in the system.

“The 12-Step Plan doesn’t work for someone like my son who had mental health issues,” said Bellingham, Wash., resident Laurie Satushek, who lost her 29-year old son, Mick, to a fentanyl overdose in April.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/23/washingtonians-fed-up-as-ods-claim-over-2800-lives/

Offline PeteS in CA

The Grim Reaper is ignoring WA's decriminalization.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Ok,so 2,800 druggies killed themselves with drugs.

This is supposed to be a  BAD thing?

Why? Nobody forced them to take the drugs,and nobody has a better understanding of the danger  of drug  addiction that addicts,who  are used to seeing their fellow druggies OD and die.

Yeah,we CAN  feel sorry for them because they are addicts,but there is no way  that WE can do anything  about that. Getting off of drugs is something the individual HAS  to do for themselves,or it won't "stick".

BTW,same thing for alcoholics. Different drugs,but the end result is the same,and it's NOT like nobody ever warned them of the dangers of taking drugs.

For ME,it was gambling. The very first time I did it,I knew immediately that I could NOT do it again because if I did,chances are I would never be able to stop. It scared me so badly I never did participate in formal games of chance afterwards.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2023, 10:35:40 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
While it sounds like a self-correcting problem, just WTF did they expect?

Everyone sitting around smoking ditchweed?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

Think of all the crime that necessarily revolves around these addicts, even if the drugs are legal.

This by the way, is an example of why I depart with my more libertarian friends in the subject of law and order, albeit an impure evidence formed in liberal lawlessness

I finally wound up agreeing with them (Libertarians) wrt the WoD at the federal level, and the dramatic abrasion of rights under search and seizure laws - I AGREE. And it has created a massive LEO driven army that in some circumstances, can sh*t-stomp you and take all your treasure before the fact of guilt. ALL of that is true.

But here we see the other end of that - What happens on the ground when law is removed and the underbelly of a region can function with free and unencumbered hands... When drug use is left to its ignoble ends.

At some point this kind of thing HAS to be addressed very legitimately with law. Not just on the local street, but somehow at the regional and federal level, or all the mechanisms to support trafficking will be present to allow the trafficking which ends in what happens on the street, and that is made plain in the lawlessness that the progressives have provided.

It lays bare the lie that if drugs are made legal and all laws against them removed, that crime would be reduced exponentially - We all can see how it ends right here.

We are not far away, Conservatives and Libertarians, but this is one of the major rubs. And a Conservative 'see, I told you so' would be appropriate.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 04:52:08 pm by roamer_1 »

Online DB

Think of all the crime that necessarily revolves around these addicts, even if the drugs are legal.

This by the way, is an example of why I depart with my more libertarian friends in the subject of law and order, albeit an impure evidence formed in liberal lawlessness

I finally wound up agreeing with them (Libertarians) wrt the WoD at the federal level, and the dramatic abrasion of rights under search and seizure laws - I AGREE. And it has created a massive LEO driven army that in some circumstances, can sh*t-stomp you and take all your treasure before the fact of guilt. ALL of that is true.

But here we see the other end of that - What happens on the ground when law is removed and the underbelly of a region can function with free and unencumbered hands... When drug use is left to its ignoble ends.

At some point this kind of thing HAS to be addressed very legitimately with law. Not just on the local street, but somehow at the regional and federal level, or all the mechanisms to support trafficking will be present to allow the trafficking which ends in what happens on the street, and that is made plain in the lawlessness that the progressives have provided.

It lays bare the lie that if drugs are made legal and all laws against them removed, that crime would be reduced exponentially - We all can see how it ends right here.

We are not far away, Conservatives and Libertarians, but this is one of the major rubs. And a Conservative 'see, I told you so' would be appropriate.

Many more things changed over the last several years beyond drug laws. Police have been told to standdown regarding a large number of crimes - with many of those crime laws still on the books. Many DAs have not prosecuted the laws on the books in the name of "equity". Yes, I'd expect more drug deaths with legalization but the connection to increased crime is not that clear. The waters have been seriously muddied.

Offline Kamaji

Many more things changed over the last several years beyond drug laws. Police have been told to standdown regarding a large number of crimes - with many of those crime laws still on the books. Many DAs have not prosecuted the laws on the books in the name of "equity". Yes, I'd expect more drug deaths with legalization but the connection to increased crime is not that clear. The waters have been seriously muddied.

:thumbsup:

Online roamer_1

That's why I called the evidence imperfect in the midst of the lawlessness that the progressives have provided. Still, the street has largely been left to its own devices, and has been in party mode  for some few years.

The result of that is undeniable. People free to party still need to eat, cloth themselves, and still need money to continue to party. And party they will... They have not let up at all, till retailers are boarding up and leaving, and burglary and rape have run wild.

This is what the street will lead to, left alone in each and all of its aspects.
None of it will stop, obviously, until someone grows a pair and starts swinging the hammer... To include the aspect of drug use, whose ends are readily apparent.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
You are ALL right,which  is why I don't know what to do.

REASON would state that doing drugs inside your home or the residence of a friend is nobody's business but your own,but we ALL know that people are just going to get high at home and then decide to go somewhere else to party. Maybe a friends house,maybe a public place,but the end result is the same unless they catch a bus there or walk to where they are going.

Having said that,retail establishments MUST have the right to deny some people service,REGARDLESS of their skin color, or nation of origin. That ain't going to happen,either.

AND........,if you can't get or keep a job because you are addicted to whatever,that is YOUR problem,not society's problem. If you  can't find  a charity willing to adopt you,starve on the streets.

Get your Biden together,or starve on the street. Multiple choice.

It's not pretty,but there it is.

Online roamer_1

You are ALL right,which  is why I don't know what to do.

That's right @sneakypete ... Like I said, I am not far off. But I can offer no solution either.

REASON would state that doing drugs inside your home or the residence of a friend is nobody's business but your own,but we ALL know that people are just going to get high at home and then decide to go somewhere else to party. Maybe a friends house,maybe a public place,but the end result is the same unless they catch a bus there or walk to where they are going.

Almost. That covers intoxication law rightly. Which works for the bulk load. But that does not cover ODs, or multiple ODs. It does not cover the resulting addiction - Which we know well enough wrt alcohol... That's bad enough... Some drug are far harder to kick.

Having said that,retail establishments MUST have the right to deny some people service,REGARDLESS of their skin color, or nation of origin. That ain't going to happen,either.

My shop is a public extension of my home. It is MINE. I will cede some authority to government in a demand the property is safe for the public and accessible (within reason) - Else it cannot be public... But it is MY property and by that right I can oust anyone the hell I choose for whatever reason at all. The moment you are not welcome and given notice, you are trespassing. If I say 'get out', that's it... And I have a right to reasonably restrain or remove you.

Add to that the voluntary contract. A sale is by its very nature a voluntary contract between two people. The buyer is not forced to buy, and the seller cannot be forced to sell, else it is not a voluntary contract.

Those two things should be held sacrosanct, along with a Castle Doctrine right to defend your property... Or eventually businesses will succumb and fold up... As is being demonstrated.

AND........,if you can't get or keep a job because you are addicted to whatever,that is YOUR problem,not society's problem. If you  can't find  a charity willing to adopt you,starve on the streets.

Get your Biden together,or starve on the street. Multiple choice.

It's not pretty,but there it is.

There's the rub. They won't just die. addicts can't get work.... and they can't dry off... So they necessarily support themselves through other means... Usually involving burglary, robbery, theft of goods (shoplifting), and etc - And that in the most benign forms. Add a little crazy and a little escalation, and robbery becomes strong-arm robbery, which becomes robery with a deadly weapon, which leads to the big leagues.

It would be nice if they would just OD and die. but that ain't how it works.  :shrug:

Online DB

You can narrow down the choices they have. If they can't function without committing crimes, including trespass, against others and refuse treatment then they get locked up. They need to be able to demonstrate they are self-sufficient if they want to be on drugs and avoid treatment or incarceration. And they only get so many goes at treatment before they get locked up longer term.

Operating a vehicle, etc., under the influence is something else.

Online roamer_1

You can narrow down the choices they have. If they can't function without committing crimes, including trespass, against others and refuse treatment then they get locked up. They need to be able to demonstrate they are self-sufficient if they want to be on drugs and avoid treatment or incarceration. And they only get so many goes at treatment before they get locked up longer term.

Operating a vehicle, etc., under the influence is something else.

That's kinda reasonable. But it needs sharp teeth. I get the idea that the perp is a victim of his addiction - There but by the grace of God go I - But at some point he ain't a victim anymore. He's just an a**hole, and should be treated accordingly.

But on the whole I would consider giving that a go.

Online DB

That's kinda reasonable. But it needs sharp teeth. I get the idea that the perp is a victim of his addiction - There but by the grace of God go I - But at some point he ain't a victim anymore. He's just an a**hole, and should be treated accordingly.

But on the whole I would consider giving that a go.

I agree. Without serious pain, no change.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
All I can say is that today one of my grandsons would have turned 27.
For whatever reason, and likely an accident, he OD'd on Fentanyl a couple of years ago in the Twin Cities. He was a great musician, bright in so many ways, fun to be around, and is sorely missed.

Just stop this shit. Stop. It. Cold.

Someone is getting rich as hell off of this, besides the undertakers.
Someone is getting power out of this.
There are forces gaining from the mayhem.
Find them. Put their asses against the wall and end it.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

Sorry, not understanding this story.  This is exactly what they voted for.  They should be thrilled to have so many OD deaths.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online DB

For whatever reason, and likely an accident, he OD'd on Fentanyl a couple of years ago in the Twin Cities. He was a great musician, bright in so many ways, fun to be around, and is sorely missed.

Just stop this shit. Stop. It. Cold.

Someone is getting rich as hell off of this, besides the undertakers.
Someone is getting power out of this.
There are forces gaining from the mayhem.
Find them. Put their asses against the wall and end it.
Lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm sorry for your loss.

My understanding is kids pop pills without actually knowing what they are. They are told they are one thing but are actually something else, often laced with Fentanyl. So a good number of people that end up ODing didn't intend to but were lied to for a quick buck.

Online roamer_1

Ain't nothing worse than a life snuffed out before its potential can be realized.
You have my condolences.
And I share your anger.
Far too many go down this path.

Online Hoodat

Addiction sucks.  Jails, institutions, or death.  That is the only outcome.  I am sorry for your loss, but also the loss for your grandson.  He wasn't able to experience the freedom of knowing the love of the Father.  There but for the grace of God goes me.

satan has many tricks, but this one is one of his worst.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Sorry, not understanding this story.  This is exactly what they voted for. They should be thrilled to have so many OD deaths.

@Hoodat

Close,but no cigar.

What they voted for,was a chance to feel good about themselves,and anything else that might result from that vote was never even a consideration.

The left is composed of airheads whose prime goal after becoming Masters of the Universe,is to feel good about themselves. The result is their brain farts create these situations and they have NO freaking clue about how to handle it because it never once occurred to them that the end result would be nothing less than "puppy dog kisses" for them all.

THUS,NOTHING that goes bad is EVER their fault. It is the fault of the people on the right that don't support them.

Regardless of their ages,they are nothing less than adult juveniles who think they  can  put on a  Santa Costume and spent other people's money in order for peasants like us to live in a "Cotton Candy World".

Some of those people are now in their 80's and reality has never once touched any of them,other than the "second tier" folks like their tame former ghetto rats,who KNOW they are associating with fools,and taking advantage of the "ride" to enrich themselves.

"We iz da wurld.....
 We iz da peep-pulls......