Author Topic: In Search of the “Greenhouse Signal” in the 1990s (and when did they know?)  (Read 207 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In Search of the “Greenhouse Signal” in the 1990s (and when did they know?)
By Robert Bradley Jr. -- June 21, 2023

“As for using proxy data to detect a man-made greenhouse effect, I don’t think we’re ever going to get to the point where we’re going to be totally convincing.” – Thomas Wigley, National Center for Atmospheric Research, (April 28, 1998)

When did the “greenhouse signal” become recognized and “settled science”? Despite the 35th anniversary of James Hansen’s June 1988 testimony to a Senate subcommittee, the historical record should be clear that detection was not in 1988. Or 1991. Or 1995. Or 1998.

And “Exxon Knew“?

————————-

Here is some history from the used-to-be newspaper of record, the New York Times, and its global warming scribe, William K. Stevens.

In early 1991, Stevens reported that scientists were not ready to pronounce evidence of man-made global warming:

https://www.masterresource.org/debate-issues/greenhouse-signal-1990s/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson