Author Topic: Failed military recruits prove deadly outliers  (Read 184 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Failed military recruits prove deadly outliers
« on: June 22, 2023, 02:58:26 pm »
Failed military recruits prove deadly outliers
By Nikki Wentling
 Jun 21, 05:00 AM
 )
After Mauricio Garcia killed eight people at a Texas mall last May, reports focused on two elements from his past: that he was a failed soldier and that he held extremist views.

Garcia had enlisted in the U.S. Army following high school but was dismissed from basic training three months later. After the shooting spree in Allen, attention turned to social media posts where he shared hateful views toward Jews, women and racial minorities.

Garcia’s behavior follows a pattern. He is one of 32 people dismissed by the U.S. military within weeks or months of enlistment, all later charged with extremist-driven plots and crimes, from mail bombings to bank robberies to mass shootings. That figure comes from Mike Jensen, a researcher who maintains a database of all extremist crimes in the U.S. for the National Consortium for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism, known as START.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/flashpoints/extremism-disinformation/2023/06/21/failed-military-recruits-prove-deadly-outliers/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Failed military recruits prove deadly outliers
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 03:00:07 pm »
Perhaps the REAL problem is taking people who shouldn't be in the military to begin with just to fill recruiting quotas. :pondering:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Failed military recruits prove deadly outliers
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2023, 03:54:51 pm »
WHile I can possibly see some connection between failure to complete basic training and the sort of anti-social and possibly extremist views that may contribute to mass casualty events based on race, the article goes on to state that folks who failed are a threat to the GLBTQetc set. Yet I know of no mass casualty events directed at that group which were not perpetrated by members of that group.

Hate can be general (extremely antisocial) or specific toward a group of people, but it seems the folks who did not complete basic who are so inclined to commit violent acts, including mass casualty acts, had other problems when they got to Basic, and it may be that they were screened out by that, not created by it. (Correlation is not causation).
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis