Author Topic: Democrats growing worried by prospect of Joe Manchin launching 3rd party presidential bid: ‘A terrib  (Read 763 times)

Offline libertybele

Democrats growing worried by prospect of Joe Manchin launching 3rd party presidential bid: ‘A terrible idea'

Democrats on Capitol Hill are growing increasingly concerned that Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., may launch a third party presidential campaign in 2024, potentially tanking President Biden's chances of re-election.

The danger of a potential Manchin presidential run is twofold for Democrats, in that they cannot afford to have a spoiler siphon votes away from Biden, and they also have no reliable candidate to prevent Manchin's Senate seat from falling to Republicans.

Sen. John Hickenlooper, D-Colo., said he spoke with Manchin about the issue this spring, but received a noncommittal response from the West Virginia senator.

"I have advised him against it. I think it would be a terrible idea," Hickenlooper told Politico. "It would help Donald Trump.".........

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-growing-worried-prospect-joe-manchin-launching-3rd-party-presidential-bid-terrible-idea
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Anything to dethrone Biden works for me.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

Anything to dethrone Biden works for me.

Absolutely, that and a 3rd party run would likely split the DEM vote handing a better chance for a GOP win.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Everyone assumes there is this great population of suburban moderate Republicans, mostly women, who are right-center but despise Donald Trump and are just waiting for a prince to come and save them.  I think the Republican primary will show that this population is mostly mythical.

Nonetheless, if the fantasy inspires Manchin to throw his hat in as an independent, I say go for it.

Offline Kamaji

Everyone assumes there is this great population of suburban moderate Republicans, mostly women, who are right-center but despise Donald Trump and are just waiting for a prince to come and save them.  I think the Republican primary will show that this population is mostly mythical.

Nonetheless, if the fantasy inspires Manchin to throw his hat in as an independent, I say go for it.

:thumbsup:

Offline libertybele

Manchin has leaned to the right a bit a couple of times, but he's a liberal.  I don't really know why there's concern that he'll run as an Independent??

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Manchin has leaned to the right a bit a couple of times, but he's a liberal.  I don't really know why there's concern that he'll run as an Independent??

He plays Biden and his party like a violin.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Could be there are a lot of democrats and independents looking for an escape hatch.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Democrats trying to talk Manchin out of White House ambitions
by Cami Mondeaux, Congressional Reporter |
June 21, 2023 09:42 AM

Democrats trying to talk Manchin out of White House ambitions
Cami Mondeaux

As Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) mulls a reelection bid, the West Virginia senator has kept members of his party on their toes as he openly flirts with a presidential bid, refusing to close any doors as he considers his next move.

Democrats have 23 Senate seats up for grabs in the 2024 cycle, setting the stage for a contentious election that could cost the party its one-seat majority. The stakes have put Manchin in an advantageous position as Democrats seek to keep the centrist Democrat happy as well as quash any plans for a White House run.

“I have advised him against it. I think it would be a terrible idea,” Sen. John Hickenlooper (D-CO) told Politico. “It would help Donald Trump.”

Manchin has not indicated whether he plans to seek a presidential bid. However, the centrist is considered to be a favored candidate for No Labels, an outside political group that has vowed to promote a third-party ticket if the 2024 election features a rematch between former President Donald Trump and President Joe Biden.

The group maintains it has not chosen a prospective nominee, telling the Washington Examiner earlier this month it would not make such a decision until its nominating convention next year. But No Labels CEO Nancy Jacobson did not rule out Manchin as the group’s top pick, telling Fox News it’s “too premature” to say.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/democrats-want-manchin-drop-white-house-ambitions
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I'd rather he run as a 3rd Party candidate than switch his Party to GOP, where his vote is worthless.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

I think his wife's drinking may come to peoples' attention. Betty Ford 2.0.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Manchin is probably trying to get more leverage to get Biden loosen regulations on energy projects and companies in West Virgina.

Manchin would get more votes from Republicans than Democrats.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

You mean like how Manchin got Shortbus Joe to spare oil and coal jobs in WV?  There is some question about who played whom.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Don't listen to Chickenpooper, run Joe run!
The Republic is lost.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
I’d love a house of reps runoff election!

Offline libertybele

Offline ScottinVA

A Manchin 3rd party run would be the GOP’s only realistic shot at taking the White House next year if Trump is the nominee yet again.  But Manchin, for all his flirtations with independence, is a democrat first, foremost and always.  Dems would sooner eat their young and dismember their mothers than take even the smallest step to harm their beloved Party.

Online mountaineer

Exactly right, @ScottinVA . Manchin is not now, nor will he ever be anything but a Democrat. Being "moderate" by WashPost standards doesn't mean he's conservative.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Scott predicts:
"A Manchin 3rd party run would be the GOP’s only realistic shot at taking the White House next year if Trump is the nominee yet again."

It might not become "the only realistic shot", but it would certainly tip the odds towards Mr. Trump in those states he will need most:
- Pennsylvania
- Michigan
- Wisconsin
... along with Arizona and Georgia.

A modestly effective 3rd-party candidate could play havoc with The Party's underground election apparatus, which might not be able to produce a sufficient number of ballots to tilt the outcome to The Party's favor...

Offline Right_in_Virginia

And at this, Manchin is a maestro.