Author Topic: Justice Samuel Alito accepted luxury vacation from billionaire with cases before Supreme Court  (Read 372 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Justice Samuel Alito accepted luxury vacation from billionaire with cases before Supreme Court: Report
by Cami Mondeaux, Congressional Reporter |
June 21, 2023 08:10 AM
 | Updated Jun 21, 2023, 09:03 AM

Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito reportedly accepted a luxury fishing vacation from a hedge fund billionaire but failed to disclose the trip despite the man later appearing before the Supreme Court to press the justices to rule in his favor on a number of cases.

Hours before the report was released, Alito wrote an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, presumably an attempt to get ahead of accusations of ethics violations, which were seized upon by congressional Democrats when ProPublica wrote similar stories about Justice Clarence Thomas.

Billionaire Paul Singer has appeared before the Supreme Court at least 10 times for cases related to his hedge funds and that were heavily covered by the media and legal community. In 2014, the court overwhelmingly ruled in favor of Singer between his hedge fund and the country of Argentina, resolving a decadelong dispute that awarded the fund $2.4 billion.

Alito ruled with the 7-1 majority on that case, failing to recuse himself despite accepting a luxury vacation from Singer just six years prior, according to ProPublica. Going even further, the justice failed to disclose the trip altogether — violating the court’s ethics standards to report gifts.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/courts/alito-accepted-luxury-vacation-from-billionaire
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Kamaji

failing to recuse himself despite accepting a luxury vacation from Singer just six years prior

Six years earlier???

Oh my, my, my, grab the smelling salts!

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Man his vote was the tipping point for the 7-1 majority on that case.  Better hang him high.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.