Author Topic: Florida city under quarantine after deadly giant African snail detected  (Read 728 times)

Offline Kamaji

Florida city under quarantine after deadly giant African snail detected

By Katherine Donlevy
June 20, 2023

They’re not escargot-ing anywhere.

State officials placed part of a Florida city under quarantine Tuesday as they race to eradicate the invasive, parasite-carrying invasive giant African snail.

The 3.5-mile section of Miramar in Broward County — located just 11 miles west of Hollywood — will be covered in a metaldehyde-based molluscicide to exterminate any giant African snails after at least one was found in the area earlier this month.

Residents will be able to move out of the treatment area freely but are prevented from moving any plant-based supplies that could harbor the mammoth mollusk’s eggs.

“Under the quarantine, it is unlawful to move a giant African land snail or a regulated article, including, but not limited to, plants, plant parts, plants in soil, soil, yard waste, debris, compost or building materials, within, through or from the defined quarantine area without a compliance agreement,” the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services announced.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/giant-african-snail-detection-in-florida-leads-to-quarantine/

Online Polly Ticks

... race to eradicate the invasive, parasite-carrying invasive giant ...

Gee, I wonder if they're invasive.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Sounds like those with yard waste could use a mobile incinerator...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

Giant snails, giant crickets. What's next? Giant frogs?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
What's  next? Giant frogs?

They shot that movie a few miles from me!  One of Sam Elliot's 1st movies.   It was so bad it is good.

Many of the 500 Florida frogs and 100 South American cane toads purchased for use in the film escaped during production.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Pretty big indeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Giant snails, giant crickets. What's next? Giant frogs?
MURDER HORNETS!!!

Oh, wait, they tried that already...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
MURDER HORNETS!!!

Did someone say Asian Giant Hornets?
The Republic is lost.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
MURDER HORNETS!!!

Yeah what happened to 'We're All Gonna Die' by Murder Hornets? That was just another flash in the pan hysteria attempt. **nononono*