Author Topic: Net Zero Watch welcomes Government U-turn on heating levy  (Read 176 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Net Zero Watch welcomes Government U-turn on heating levy
« on: June 21, 2023, 11:44:20 am »
Net Zero Watch welcomes Government U-turn on heating levy
Wednesday 14th June 2023 | Press Release

Net Zero Watch has welcomed the Government’s apparent U-turn on plans for a new levy on household bills.

The levy, introduced as part of the drive to “Net Zero”, was designed to fund the development of hydrogen as an alternative to gas heating. However, it would have hit households with a bill estimated at £120 per year.

According to press reports, the Energy Secretary has now admitted hydrogen will never replace gas boilers, and it appears that the levy will now be dropped.

Net Zero Watch has been informing ministers and MPs about the radical shift in public opinion in much of Europe in response to the cost of energy and cost of living crises.

Governments around Europe are beginning to water down and abandon Net Zero policies. There can be little doubt that the Net Zero U-turns by both Labour and the Conservatives are a clear indication that the cost of living and the costs of Net Zero crisis will become one of the key election issues.

Craig Mackinlay MP, chairman of the parliamentary Net Zero Scrutiny Group, said:

https://joannenova.com.au/2023/06/62-of-uk-say-government-say-reducing-bills-is-more-important-than-carbon-targets/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson