Author Topic: BMI standards are ‘racist’: American Medical Association  (Read 654 times)

Offline Kamaji

BMI standards are ‘racist’: American Medical Association

By Asia Grace
June 20, 2023

Weight, what?

The American Medical Association, or the AMA, the largest organization of doctors in the U.S., is ready to say “goodbye” to determining healthy body weight solely by BMI, owing to the measurement’s inherently “racist” roots.

Body mass index, or BMI — which physicians have used to measure body fatness and predict obesity-related health risks for 200 years — is “indirect and imperfect” due to its historically harmful use for “racist exclusion,” per newly issued policy via the AMA Council on Science and Public Health.

The report found that “BMI does not appropriately represent racial and ethnic minorities” because it’s based on “the imagined ideal Caucasian” of the 19th century, and does not consider a person’s gender or ethnicity.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/20/bmi-standards-are-racist-american-medical-association/

Offline Kamaji

Re: BMI standards are ‘racist’: American Medical Association
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 07:24:04 pm »
:facepalm2:

Good Grief!!!

No, they aren't racist.  They're simply incorrect, incomplete, and not particularly useful.

Geez.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 07:25:07 pm »
Apparently, the AMA is taking after Planned Parenthood's founder Margaret Sanger in wanting black people dead.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 07:34:11 pm »
So is there evidence obese people "of color" have fewer health issues than obese people that are lacking color?

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 07:37:17 pm »
I read the headline as BLM standards are ‘racist’ and thought "I don' t need a doctor to tell me that".  :shrug:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 07:45:14 pm »
So is there evidence obese people "of color" have fewer health issues than obese people that are lacking color?

Not if you subtract Diabetes, strokes, Hypertension and sickle cell trait.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 08:10:00 pm »
The BMI shtick is invalid, but racism is not the reason. Apparently it was developed for late 19th Century Belgian soldiers. Need I point out that Germans, Italians, blacks, Slavs, Scandinavians, Han Chinese, yada, yada, yada have very different ethnic heritages from Belgians? Need I point out that nutrition - contrary to food faddists' claims - and health/hygiene have improved considerable in the past century and a half?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2023, 08:22:15 pm »
The BMI shtick is invalid, but racism is not the reason. Apparently it was developed for late 19th Century Belgian soldiers. Need I point out that Germans, Italians, blacks, Slavs, Scandinavians, Han Chinese, yada, yada, yada have very different ethnic heritages from Belgians? Need I point out that nutrition - contrary to food faddists' claims - and health/hygiene have improved considerable in the past century and a half?

:thumbsup:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2023, 09:45:45 pm »
This seems more like an ad hominem attack on the index rather than a critique of the index itself.

The index is inherently flawed mainly because it is skewed to favor shorter people. It's based upon the formula of weight divided by height squared. But that's a huge problem: someone with the same body proportions who is taller will register a higher BMI than someone who is shorter with the same proportions to scale, because body volume is a cubed quantity, height times width times length. For that reason, a lot of the health industry has moved to a more direct measure of proportions like waist-to-height ratio, which seems to be more accurate.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 05:22:49 am »
Yes. We should all push for transparency.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2023, 02:24:56 pm »
OPINION US NEWS
Woke American Medical Association Now Says This Simple Doctor's Tool Is Racist
Johnathan Jones, The Western Journal   By Johnathan Jones, The Western Journal
Published June 22, 2023 at 6:15pm

The “woke” American Medical Association would like to see the world do away with a standard measuring tool that Americans have used for years to gauge whether they are at a healthy weight.

The largest collective of physicians has called on the body mass index value to be replaced with an alternative, citing its “racist” roots.

The BMI has been used in some form or another for two centuries by people across the globe to gauge whether they are over or underweight.

The scale takes into an individual’s height and weight and assigns them a score that is generally considered a good jumping-off point to a longer life.

https://thefederalistpapers.org/us/woke-american-medical-association-now-says-simple-doctors-tool-racist
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2023, 05:14:06 pm »
As was discussed in this thread, https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,503381.0.html , the whole BMI thing is utter BS. Putting it simply, the human race is more complex than 19th Century Belgian army soldiers.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2023, 05:17:33 pm »
Morbid obesity and Type 2 Diabetes don't lie.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2023, 05:21:18 pm »
I'd have to cut a leg off to fit the BMI for normal at my height. It really makes no allowance for bone structure, density, or stature.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis