Author Topic: ‘Anti-social behavior’: Why Generation Z struggles to make and keep friendships  (Read 241 times)

Offline Kamaji

‘Anti-social behavior’: Why Generation Z struggles to make and keep friendships

By Shona Hendley, News.com.au
June 19, 2023

With an abundance of research backing the importance of friendship to our sense of belonging, wellbeing, health and happiness, there is no doubt that for the majority of us, these social connections are integral to our lives.

But for one generation, making friends hasn’t been so easy and it is having a lasting impact.

Research conducted by several institutions including Dartmouth College has found that Generation Z (those born between 1997-2012) are struggling to make friends and keep them.

At the root of this issue, the experts say, was the COVID-19 lockdowns and restrictions enforced at the height of the pandemic, many of which prohibited or restricted working from the office or workplace and attending school or university in person, which significantly impacted Gen Z’s social circles as well as their social skills.

“During the pandemic, there was the lack of consistency,” said Joyce Chuinkam, senior research manager at Los Angeles-based market-research agency Talk Shoppe, which interviewed Millennials and Gen Z about their friendships during the pandemic.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/19/why-generation-z-struggles-to-make-and-keep-friendships/

Offline Kamaji

More lives permanently damaged by the covid-nazis.

Offline mountaineer

When Mr. M was still working at a local university before his retirement, I used to visit campus occasionally. It was sad to see entire tables full of students in the student union, all looking at their phones, none talking to another person at the table. There was no personal interaction even from a foot or two away - and that was before Covid.

It was all via
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
When Mr. M was still working at a local university before his retirement, I used to visit campus occasionally. It was sad to see entire tables full of students in the student union, all looking at their phones, none talking to another person at the table. There was no personal interaction even from a foot or two away - and that was before Covid.

It was all via

If you really want to see something, take a look at all the hooks for FREE lines of credit that appear in student newspapers regularly and especially at the beginning of a new semester.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien