Author Topic: Scientists Decide that Scientists are Getting Better at Communicating Scary Climate Stories  (Read 307 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Scientists Decide that Scientists are Getting Better at Communicating Scary Climate Stories
9 hours ago Charles Rotter 18 Comments

[Emphasis and inline comments are mine–cr]

Excerpts from EurekAlert!

Assessment of how climate scientists communicate risk shows imperfections, improvements
The hardest part, experts find, is communicating “unquantifiable” uncertainty

Peer-Reviewed Publication

RUTGERS UNIVERSITY

Scientists have long struggled to find the best way to present crucial facts about future sea level rise, but are getting better at communicating more clearly, according to an international group of climate scientists, including a leading Rutgers expert.

The consequences of improving communications are enormous, the scientists said, as civic leaders actively incorporate climate scientists’ risk assessments into major planning efforts to counter some of the effects of rising seas.

Writing in Nature Climate Change, the scientists review the language and graphics used in climate “assessment” reports between 1990 and 2021 by members of the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).

[We can imagine lots of hypothetical scary stuff-cr]

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/06/19/scientists-decide-that-scientists-are-getting-better-at-communicating-scary-stories/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Kamaji

I.e., they’re getting better at lying. 

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I.e., they’re getting better at lying.

Is that like "adjusting the truth?" :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson