Author Topic: Migrants face restricted asylum access at the Arizona-Mexico border after Title 42 lift  (Read 122 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Migrants face restricted asylum access at the Arizona-Mexico border after Title 42 lift
José Ignacio Castañeda Perez
Arizona Republic

It’s been more than a month since the Title 42 border restriction was lifted on May 11. The controversial public health policy was used to rapidly turn back migrants more than 2.8 million times since 2020.

In preparation for the restriction’s demise, the Biden administration enacted new policies meant to function as a “carrot-and-stick” approach to managing migrant encounters at the U.S.-Mexico border.

Now, asylum seekers must navigate a patchwork of convoluted policies and outcomes meant to replace Title 42. The American Immigration Council has compiled the process for migrants into a list of 15 “not-at-all-easy” steps to seeking asylum under the new rules.

Here’s what asylum seekers are facing after the end of Title 42.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/politics/border-issues/2023/06/18/migrants-seek-asylum-at-the-border-under-bidens-new-ban/70313978007/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson