Author Topic: There Are Some Serious Problems With These Polls Right Now  (Read 6003 times)

Offline Kamaji

There Are Some Serious Problems With These Polls Right Now
« on: June 19, 2023, 01:02:35 pm »
There Are Some Serious Problems With These Polls Right Now

Scott Morefield
June 18, 2023

There's no doubt that former President Donald Trump is leading in GOP primary polling. He's been running for months, one felony indictment after another keeps drawing attention and making him a martyr, and he's running against about 98 other candidates, none of whom are former presidents with a penchant for sucking all the air out of every room they enter.

In a steady second sits Trump's primary challenger, Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis. However, recent polling trumpeted by the Trump camp shows the former president's lead over his main competition growing, as well as a competitive general election race between Trump and Biden. The trumpeting seems aimed to present an air of inevitability like this is some sort of coronation instead of a contest. The goal, presumably, seems to be to get everyone to 'rally around Trump' and ignore everyone else based on the belief that he will beat DeSantis and that he can beat Biden.

Consider Harvard Harris, run by former Hillary Clinton pollster Mark Penn. Recent results from this polling outfit show Trump with seemingly insurmountable leads in the GOP primary. They also show the former president competitive in a general election race.

Look under the hood, and other polls, especially ones attempting to predict the general election, display similar weirdness:

When it comes to polling, especially this early in a presidential election, always look at the crosstabs and demographic sampling and compare those with complex data from actual past elections. For example, if no Republican has won the women's vote in decades, do you really think Donald Trump is going to be the one to break the cycle?

Source:  https://townhall.com/tipsheet/scottmorefield/2023/06/18/there-are-some-serious-problems-with-these-polls-right-now-n2624649

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: There Are Some Serious Problems With These Polls Right Now
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2023, 01:18:09 pm »
Polls are commissioned by people and the results generally reflect what those who commission them expect.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2023, 01:51:47 pm »
Maybe. Anecdotally, women are the still the ones who buy most groceries.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2023, 01:56:47 pm »
I accidently answered a poll call the other day while driving.  So with nothing better to do I took their questions.  It was a Presidential Preference poll.  Bottom line, it asked in the primary.... if it were held today would you vote Trump or DeSantis.  I lied and said Trump.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2023, 02:37:09 pm »
Part of the problem with any polls  right now is the campaign season is still in it’s infancy

Although, as of now, I do believe Trump will be the nominee, and he will go on to lose the general election. The hope if that happens is that there’s not a bunch of Trump backed candidates running for the House and Senate, thereby handing the Democrats a full governing majority after 2024.

The one bright spot for the Senate is Democrats have more seats to defend and it would just take just a few Republican pick ups to flip that
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 02:37:55 pm by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2023, 03:02:18 pm »
Maybe.  But on the whole, the polls consistently show that DeSantis is not catching fire with the voters and those that support Trump are sticking with him like glue.

Polls are also consistently showing Trump is very competitive against Biden with the trend showing Trump is overtaking him.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2023, 03:33:51 pm »
Maybe.  But on the whole, the polls consistently show that DeSantis is not catching fire with the voters and those that support Trump are sticking with him like glue.

Polls are also consistently showing Trump is very competitive against Biden with the trend showing Trump is overtaking him.
And yet TRUMP CAN'T POSSIBLY WIN THE GENERAL ELECTION.  Let that sink in.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2023, 04:20:50 pm »

They will point to 2016 as an example of Trump being able to win. Hillary voters fell into the assumption that Hillary had it in the bag so a lot of them stayed home, a mistake they didn’t make anymore.

Also, Trump only got a plurality of votes, he did not win the popular vote, and it was the electoral college that bailed him out

Right now the polls reflect a very deep disgust with Biden. But we don’t elect our presidents through a national popular vote. They’re elected state by state. The electoral map is hostile for Republicans, no matter who the nominee is
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2023, 04:59:53 pm »

@Jack Russell

According to who,you  and  your friends?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2023, 05:02:28 pm »
They will point to 2016 as an example of Trump being able to win. Hillary voters fell into the assumption that Hillary had it in the bag so a lot of them stayed home, a mistake they didn’t make anymore.

Also, Trump only got a plurality of votes, he did not win the popular vote, and it was the electoral college that bailed him out

Right now the polls reflect a very deep disgust with Biden. But we don’t elect our presidents through a national popular vote. They’re elected state by state. The electoral map is hostile for Republicans, no matter who the nominee is

@LMAO

True,and the ONLY thing that can  change that around is to convince the people so disgusted with  politics that they  need to show up and vote. Which will be a hard uphill climb because they are disgusted with today's politics and politicians.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2023, 05:06:50 pm »
Polls this early are garbage, either way, especially with Trump's legal issues.  If the facts that come out as the cases progress make him look good, he'll likely stay on top.  If not...then it's a different ball game.

There is also the issue of whether Biden is actually going go be the Dems 2024 nominee.  Because if he drops out or is replaced, that probably helps the Dems and hurts Trump.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 05:25:42 pm »
We may see similar elections as we did during the Obama era.

Despite Barack Obama’s average low job approval rating and people not happy with the direction of the country, he still won reelection in 2012. However, after he left office in 2017, Republicans held most of the governorships, they increased their numbers in statehouses, and had a majority in both houses of Congress.

And we may just have to accept that that may be the case for quite a while
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 05:39:12 pm by LMAO »

Barry Goldwater

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 05:41:27 pm »
Polls this early are garbage, either way, especially with Trump's legal issues.  If the facts that come out as the cases progress make him look good, he'll likely stay on top.  If not...then it's a different ball game.

There is also the issue of whether Biden is actually going go be the Dems 2024 nominee.  Because if he drops out or is replaced, that probably helps the Dems and hurts Trump.

@Maj. Bill Martin

Biden is going to drop out due to "Health Issues" so late in the campaign that it will be hard for the alleged Republicans to mount a campaign against him/her/multiple choice.

Biden is nothing more than a highly paid "blocking dummy" for the DNC.

And "No,I do NOT see his VP being allowed to take over his campaign and run in his place."

I see a whole new ticket emerging.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2023, 06:15:49 pm »
Dethroning Trump was always going to be an uphill battle. It is not impossible for Trump to win in the general election, just highly unlikely. I think it is depressing for partisans on both sides right now, looking at the seeming inevitability of what the primaries will yield. At least our side does not have a bunch of gutless cowards afraid to take on the standard-bearer. 

Online corbe

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 06:22:26 pm »
   Polls this far out of the election are as worthless as the polls in early Nov 16 that showed hellary in a landslide. 
   Meaning they are all useless and a tool of the media.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2023, 06:34:09 pm »
Dethroning Trump was always going to be an uphill battle. It is not impossible for Trump to win in the general election, just highly unlikely. I think it is depressing for partisans on both sides right now, looking at the seeming inevitability of what the primaries will yield. At least our side does not have a bunch of gutless cowards afraid to take on the standard-bearer.

@massadvj

Maybe I've been streaming too many 'action' movies lately.

“The president has put in place an organization that contains a kind of database that no one has ever seen before in life that’s going to be very, very powerful... And that database will have information about everything on every individual in ways that it’s never been done before. He’s been very smart,” Waters said of Obama. “I mean it’s very powerful what he’s leaving in place.”

― Maxine Waters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2ohTksHIiI

It's not a stretch at all to see why nobody has even suggested challenging Biden.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2023, 06:39:34 pm »
So disgusted voters need to show up to vote for a disgusting candidate (Trump).  Uh huh

:silly:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2023, 06:54:48 pm »
So disgusted voters need to show up to vote for a disgusting candidate (Trump).  Uh huh

@Jack Russell

Don't worry. I didn't expect you to understand it.

Online corbe

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2023, 06:57:25 pm »
   I want to give a Shoutout here to the Briefers, who, all along knew that Trump wasn't the answer, you know who you are.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2023, 03:00:02 am »
@massadvj

Maybe I've been streaming too many 'action' movies lately.

It would take at least 8 years of Republican administrations to undo what Obama put into place. He turned the entire federal government into a political patronage and enforcement arm of the Democratic Party.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2023, 03:08:03 am »
It would take at least 8 years of Republican administrations to undo what Obama put into place. He turned the entire federal government into a political patronage and enforcement arm of the Democratic Party.

Disagree.  It will take one angry man with no looming reelection campaign who knows where the evidence is buried and who put it there to pull down the whole house of cards.

@massadvj

« Last Edit: June 21, 2023, 04:31:27 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2023, 03:41:14 am »
@Maj. Bill Martin

Biden is going to drop out due to "Health Issues" so late in the campaign that it will be hard for the alleged Republicans to mount a campaign against him/her/multiple choice.

Biden is nothing more than a highly paid "blocking dummy" for the DNC.

And "No,I do NOT see his VP being allowed to take over his campaign and run in his place."

I see a whole new ticket emerging.

@sneakypete

That may very well be exactly what happens.

Of course, trying to shunt aside the first female black VP completely may not sit too well with certain of their constituencies.  But they made that bed, so let them lie in it.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2023, 03:45:01 am »
Nope. It will take one angry man with no looming reelection campaign who knows where the evidence is buried and who put it there.
If it's the guy you're probably thinking of, he couldn't find his big orange ass with both hands.  He's as clueless regarding how the government actually works as is Biden.  Maybe even more so, and I'm not even being facetious.  He's not just anti-intellectual.  He's anti-intelligence.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2023, 04:14:19 am »

With the fraud mechanisms not just still in place, but refined amidst claims of fraud allegedly being "debunked", and a real good handle on the point spread, ensuing GOP candidates will experience seamless and smooth losses to Democrats anywhere that there is any ability to claim the Democrat won in "an upset" or even "close contest".

While the polls don't set the point spread of actual votes, they do set the public's expectation of outcome, even down to establishing that those margins might be close.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2023, 05:42:15 am »

@massadvj

I am not even sure 8 years in a row is enough time to do more than just get things started.