Author Topic: The New Oscars Qualifying Rules for 'Best Picture' Have to Be Seen to Be Believed  (Read 305 times)

Offline Kamaji

The New Oscars Qualifying Rules for 'Best Picture' Have to Be Seen to Be Believed

By Bonchie
June 18, 2023

Being woke means always taking the next step into further absurdity, and the Oscars have done just that. The once-storied awards show has seen its viewership collapse over the last several years as it has doggedly pursued a regime of “social justice” and promotion of “diversity.”

The far-left simply doesn’t have the capacity to learn any lessons, though, and the new qualifying rules for “Best Picture” have to be seen to be believed. According to the Oscars’ website, which published the new guidelines, in order for a movie to qualify, it must meet strict diversity standards that would have excluded many of the best films in history.

More specifically, there are four different categorical standards laid out that demand diversity both on screen and on set. In order for a movie to be up for Best Picture, it must comply with at least two of the four standards, all of which were laid out recently on the Oscars’ website.

For example, here’s the one dealing with leads and “significant supporting actors.”

STANDARD A:  ON-SCREEN REPRESENTATION, THEMES AND NARRATIVES
To achieve Standard A, the film must meet ONE of the following criteria:

A1. Lead or significant supporting actors

At least one of the lead actors or significant supporting actors is from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group.

• Asian
• Hispanic/Latinx
• Black/African American
• Indigenous/Native American/Alaskan Native
• Middle Eastern/North African
• Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander
• Other underrepresented race or ethnicity

A2. General ensemble cast

At least 30% of all actors in secondary and more minor roles are from at least two of the following underrepresented groups:

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

A3. Main storyline/subject matter

The main storyline(s), theme or narrative of the film is centered on an underrepresented group(s).

• Women
• Racial or ethnic group
• LGBTQ+
• People with cognitive or physical disabilities, or who are deaf or hard of hearing

Source:  https://redstate.com/bonchie/2023/06/18/the-new-oscars-qualifying-rules-for-best-picture-have-to-be-seen-to-be-believed-n763515

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Who cares, I haven't watched the oscars since Billy Crystal hosted and there's not a single movie that I would pay money to see in a dirty, noisy, overpriced theater filled with rude people acting like children.....but other than that I really have no opinion :silly:

Offline berdie

That will seal their fate. They don't even make anything worth watching now.