Author Topic: City-contracted security calls police on volunteers handing out food to migrants at Chicago YMCA  (Read 247 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
City-contracted security calls police on volunteers handing out food to migrants at Chicago YMCA

NELL SALZMAN AND LAURA RODRÍGUEZ PRESA
CHICAGO TRIBUNE UPDATED JUNE 17, 2023 3:37 PM

CHICAGO — The city is investigating after police were called Thursday night on volunteers serving food to asylum-seekers outside a temporary shelter at the YMCA in West Ridge.

The three volunteers said the shelter’s city-contracted security guards threatened and harassed them and told them to leave the premises before calling police as the volunteers passed out food to the migrants, who told them they’d only been served “bread and apples” inside the shelter.

“They have no warm clothing. People were shivering. They were ravenous,” said Laurie Hasbrook, one of the volunteers. TOP VIDEOS Cristina Pacione-Zayas, Mayor Brandon Johnson’s deputy chief of staff, told the Tribune on Friday there was an ongoing investigation into the incident, but couldn’t comment further.

The asylum-seeker shelters are manned day and night by Favorite Staffing, a contracted vendor that works to support management operations, according to a statement from the city.

Read more at: https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article276519301.html#storylink=cpy
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson