Author Topic: New Evidence Shows Polar Bears Survived 1,600 Years Of Ice-Free Summers In Early Holocene  (Read 139 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

WRITTEN BY SUSAN J. CROCKFORD, PH.D. ON JUN 16, 2023. POSTED IN LATEST NEWS

New Evidence Shows Polar Bears Survived 1,600 Years Of Ice-Free Summers In Early Holocene

New evidence indicates that Arctic areas with the thickest ice today probably melted out every year during the summer for about 1,600 years during the early Holocene (ca. 11.3-9.7k years ago), making the Arctic virtually ice-free.

As I argue in my new book, this means that polar bears and other Arctic species are capable of surviving extended periods with ice-free summers: otherwise, they would not be alive today. [emphasis, links added]

Money quote: Here we show marine proxy evidence for the disappearance of perennial sea ice in the southern Lincoln Sea during the Early Holocene, which suggests a widespread transition to seasonal sea ice in the Arctic Ocean. [Detlef et al. 2023: Abstract]

Last Ice Area and Lincoln Sea

https://climatechangedispatch.com/new-evidence-shows-polar-bears-survived-1600-years-of-ice-free-summers-in-early-holocene/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson