Author Topic: We’ve pumped so much groundwater that we’ve nudged the Earth’s spin  (Read 699 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NEWS RELEASE 15-JUN-2023
We’ve pumped so much groundwater that we’ve nudged the Earth’s spin
The shifting of mass and consequent sea level rise due to groundwater withdrawal has caused the Earth’s rotational pole to wander nearly a meter in two decades

Peer-Reviewed Publication
AMERICAN GEOPHYSICAL UNION

American Geophysical Union
15 June 2023

This press release is available online at: https://news.agu.org/press-release/weve-pumped-so-much-groundwater-that-weve-nudged-the-earths-spin

AGU press contact:
Rebecca Dzombak, news@agu.org (UTC-4 hours)

Contact information for the researchers:
Ki-Weon Seo, Seoul National University, seokiweon@snu.ac.kr (UTC+9 hours)

WASHINGTON — By pumping water out of the ground and moving it elsewhere, humans have shifted such a large mass of water that the Earth tilted nearly 80 centimeters (31.5 inches) east between 1993 and 2010 alone, according to a new study published in Geophysical Research Letters, AGU’s journal for short-format, high-impact research with implications spanning the Earth and space sciences.

Based on climate models, scientists previously estimated humans pumped 2,150 gigatons of groundwater, equivalent to more than 6 millimeters (0.24 inches) of sea level rise, from 1993 to 2010. But validating that estimate is difficult.

One approach lies with the Earth’s rotational pole, which is the point around which the planet rotates. It moves during a process called polar motion, which is when the position of the Earth’s rotational pole varies relative to the crust. The distribution of water on the planet affects how mass is distributed. Like adding a tiny bit of weight to a spinning top, the Earth spins a little differently as water is moved around.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/992713
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think I can see Guam tipping over....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
This theory doesn't hold water.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Hoodat

No, it does not.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Haven't we all learned that peer reviewed is on a par with Joe has integrity.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
THis is a bullshit smokescreen for the AGW crowd.

Yes, the Earth's axial tilt variations very likely account for the changes in climate.

But once again, are the last Ice Ages and Interglacial periods the result of humans pumping groundwater? Before humans, before pumps? Even before the Pleistocene?

If you go looking for this study: New Climate Model Accurately Predicts Millions of Years of Ice Ages, with mere keywords and not the title, all Google will put up is a bunch of crap about how humans caused it with SUVs, emissions, pumping water, moving herds of farting cows, or whatever.

Gotta keep that "evil human" narrative going, and damn the truth!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Speaking of holding water, I saw you had a lot of water last night, @Wingnut
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Speaking of holding water, I saw you had a lot of water last night, @Wingnut

@Cyber Liberty  Not to bad at our casa.  I slept thru the most of it.  Neighbors were freaked. But hey I grew up climbing on the roof to get a better view of a tornado when most people hunkered down in the basement.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline roamer_1

Good Lord! What fresh, new dingbattery is this?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Good Lord! What fresh, new dingbattery is this?
Apparently these f'idiots don't realize that aquifers recharge, for starters.

But water farther from the center of the Earth will take just a little more torque to rotate with the Earth than water a couple miles down. Still, salt water produced with oil is reinjected into the Earth either at the same depth or at a slightly shallower one.

Most fresh water aquifers are less than a mile down. That water is removed, utilized, and much of it discharged on the surface after treatment, and eventually ends up in the ocean, where it evaporates, forms clouds, and comes back to Earth as rain, and recharges aquifers and soaks into soil to be used by plants and runs off that surface to help form streams and rivers, along with spring water.  This is known as the Hydrologic cycle, with water being utilized by plants and animals and industrially, but the planet recycles it naturally.

Other things influence the rotational axis of the Earth, and this paper finds the presence of other celestial bodies to be the culprit, while producing a model accurately 'predicting' past ice ages and interglacial periods.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Hoodat

@Cyber Liberty  Not to bad at our casa.  I slept thru the most of it.  Neighbors were freaked. But hey I grew up climbing on the roof to get a better view of a tornado when most people hunkered down in the basement.

My new house comes with a tornado shelter.  Apparently, that is a big deal around here.  A tornado completely took out the house on this property back in 2011, so I figure I got one now that been pre-disastered.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Kamaji

Based on climate models, scientists previously estimated humans pumped 2,150 gigatons of groundwater, equivalent to more than 6 millimeters (0.24 inches) of sea level rise, from 1993 to 2010. But validating that estimate is difficult.

In other words, compounding the invalidity of invalid models.

Go figure.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
In other words, compounding the invalidity of invalid models.

Go figure.

You mean invalidity doesn't cancel itself  out?
I will NOT comply.