Author Topic: ‘Apocalyptic’: I’m a prisoner in my own home infested with thousands of creepy bugs  (Read 1178 times)

Offline Kamaji

‘Apocalyptic’: I’m a prisoner in my own home infested with thousands of creepy bugs

By Mary K. Jacob
June 16, 2023

Colette and Mike Reynolds awoke Sunday morning to find a nightmare scene of thousands of creepy crickets infesting their home in Elko, Nevada — and the city itself.

Known as Mormon crickets, Colette has lived in the city her whole life, and told The Post they’re used to a few of them migrating into their house each year, but never have they seen it this bad before.

“They are foul, vile, stinky, disgusting carnivorous, cannibalistic crickets — huge ones,” she said.

Colette revealed that she first noticed just two crickets on her porch the day prior, on Saturday, thinking they must be coming soon, but not expecting anything of magnitude.

“The next morning is when we woke up to our entire wall covered with crickets,” she said.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/16/nevada-home-infested-with-thousands-of-mormon-crickets/

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Mmmmm...lunch

I was on a week long water skiing adventure one time down at Lake Powell. We camped on a beach. Woke up one morning and the place was covered with them.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline berdie

Grasshoppers will do the same thing.

Note to self: spray around the house as soon as it gets a little cooler.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I had no knowledge of those critters until I met up with them in Nevada. I'd been looking over the rocks in a turquoise mine dump and got down to the valley floor and decided to take a look around a loading dock someone had built there to see if anything good had fallen off the truck.

I parked my van, got out and noticed there was a light breeze, sagebrush leaves lightly rattling as I walked past a clump from the wind. The breeze stopped, but the noise kept up...

One of those Twilight Zone moments...ever conscious of proximity to nuclear test sites and having a strong background in 'B' horror flicks based on radiation induced mutations to the local fauna...I walked cautiously around that clump of sagebrush, looking for what was making the noise. It erupted with big, black bugs, 3" or so long in the body.

My first thought was "It's only three giant steps back to the van."

I took them.

On the drive out, I noticed they made a neat somewhat satisfying crunchy noise when I drove over them, and the ones not killed outright squealed...

A mere 60 miles of dirt road later, I was back at the rig, and told the guys there what had happened. They got a laugh out of it and told me those were Mormon Crickets.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Sounds like they have become Locusts and are preparing to swarm.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

Do Mormon crickets wear white shirts, ties and a name tag?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

Do Mormon crickets wear white shirts, ties and a name tag?
Nope. And they don't just travel in pairs.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Are they really mormons though?

Offline roamer_1

Sounds like they have become Locusts and are preparing to swarm.

That has happened in the past, though they are wingless, so their devastation is limited to the foothills of the Rockies... And it hasn't happened since the advent of chemical insecticides. They are a much easier target than the airborne kind.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
About three years ago conditions must have been close to perfect because we had an explosion of crickets, there were times that it looked like the sidewalk in places was crawling there were so many at night. I use food grade Dematiaceous Earth inside and out to control fleas and works on crickets too while being safe for dogs, cats and other non insects. But if you really have it as bad as these folks say, I would invest in some Geckos.

Offline roamer_1

About three years ago conditions must have been close to perfect because we had an explosion of crickets, there were times that it looked like the sidewalk in places was crawling there were so many at night. I use food grade Dematiaceous Earth inside and out to control fleas and works on crickets too while being safe for dogs, cats and other non insects. But if you really have it as bad as these folks say, I would invest in some Geckos.

Chickens. They wouldn't cost anything till the crickets are gone... And they will be gone.

Offline Smokin Joe

These aren't your average cricket folks: (Idaho Statesman)

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Ugh

Offline GtHawk

Chickens. They wouldn't cost anything till the crickets are gone... And they will be gone.
They would me, I live in an apartment complex in a city, chickens would cost me plenty. :silly:

Offline GtHawk

My dog is pretty darn good hunting down the small variety cricket but I think she would freak if there a bunch of those in the room and it would take more than a few Geckos or the would get full awful fast.

Apparently this is a huge issue in Nevada right now. https://www.9news.com/article/news/national/mormon-crickets-elko-nevada-migration-2023/73-216440bb-e0e5-4820-936d-c7d730c81fb9

Offline GtHawk

My dog is pretty darn good hunting down the small variety cricket but I think she would freak if there a bunch of those in the room and it would take more than a few Geckos or the would get full awful fast.

Apparently this is a huge issue in Nevada right now. https://www.9news.com/article/news/national/mormon-crickets-elko-nevada-migration-2023/73-216440bb-e0e5-4820-936d-c7d730c81fb9

Offline roamer_1

They would me, I live in an apartment complex in a city, chickens would cost me plenty. :silly:

LOL!... Maybe not in the face of a pestilence swarm... Folks would figger out right quick that chickensh*t is more pleasant than locusts. And when it's over, a bangin BBQ out on the commons (but no Bud Light).  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 10:02:39 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Elko, NV?  Thank goodness!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: