Author Topic: Amazon shuts down customer’s smart home devices after delivery driver’s false racism claim  (Read 1155 times)

Offline Kamaji

Amazon shuts down customer’s smart home devices after delivery driver’s false racism claim

By Emily Crane
June 15, 2023

Amazon shut off a man’s smart home devices for a week after a delivery driver falsely accused the customer of hurling a racial slur via a doorbell intercom, the tech giant confirmed Thursday.

Brandon Jackson, who is black, said he found himself digitally exiled by the company on May 25 — less than 24 hours after an Amazon delivery driver dropped off a package at his home and reported him for being racist.

The homeowner, who detailed the saga in a Medium post, said he was informed of the unwarranted lockout after contacting Amazon when he realized he couldn’t interact with his smart home devices.

“I was told that the driver who had delivered my package reported receiving racist remarks from my ‘Ring doorbell’,” Jackson said.

Jackson, an engineer at Microsoft, was quick to point out flaws in the allegation — including that none of his family members were actually home when the package was dropped off.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/15/amazon-shuts-down-customers-smart-home-devices-over-false-racist-claim/

Offline Kamaji

Big brother is already here.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How long before delivery drivers demand protection money or they will get you locked out?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

How long before delivery drivers demand protection money or they will get you locked out?

How long before Amazon starts scouring the interwebs for your content, using an AI to "evaluate" it, and then shutting off your services without notice if the AI finds content that it concludes was offensive?

And just wait until we get digital currency in.

That Amazon is doing this now is a clear indication that, once banks have the power to do so, it will not take much pushing from the government for banks to start cutting people off from their accounts in the same manner.

Offline Smokin Joe

How long before Amazon starts scouring the interwebs for your content, using an AI to "evaluate" it, and then shutting off your services without notice if the AI finds content that it concludes was offensive?

That Amazon is doing this now is a clear indication that, once banks have the power to do so, it will not take much pushing from the government for banks to start cutting people off from their accounts in the same manner.
Well, this is why I have been resisting having 'smart' devices in my home.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
This makes the Luddite in me smile.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline Kamaji

Well, this is why I have been resisting having 'smart' devices in my home.

Exactly.  The question is, how much longer can one avoid it?  In the home, probably for a while; in economic affairs, probably not so long, unless one wants to live as a hermit.  Barter economies will very quickly be outlawed.

Online roamer_1

Big brother is already here.

Only if you let him in the house.

There is something to that... Demons, vampires, etc. have to be invited into a domicile...
Don't eat anything prepared by faeries or you will become trapped or suffer a slow death...

Funny how modernity seems to be following after the myths...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 11:20:49 pm by roamer_1 »

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
This is why the government is pushing so hard for electric vehicles, electric stove, and all electric heat A/C (with no electricity to power them) and all digital currency. Because that puts everything under their control in terms of tracking every single thing you do as well as button push on/off power to control you.

This is the exact example of what they have in mind. Not only your home, but they can lock you out of your money, your car, your heat, your ability to cook food, everything. When everything become digital and electric, government will have absolute control to reward or punish you based on how they perceive your behavior and how you think.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
This is why the government is pushing so hard for electric vehicles, electric stove, and all electric heat A/C (with no electricity to power them) and all digital currency. Because that puts everything under their control in terms of tracking every single thing you do as well as button push on/off power to control you.

This is the exact example of what they have in mind. Not only your home, but they can lock you out of your money, your car, your heat, your ability to cook food, everything. When everything become digital and electric, government will have absolute control to reward or punish you based on how they perceive your behavior and how you think.

It's like a plot for a STAR-TREK or TWILIGHT ZONE episode.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Kamaji

:thumbsup:

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Unburden yourselves! Be FREE!!! Just as long as "All your base are belong to us".
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline unite for individuality

• I think, therefore I am... a misfit!

The government does not control the banks.
The banks control the government.

Privatized tyranny is still tyranny.

This is yet another example of what I call
the global corporate dictatorship.
People worry about the NSA and the Utah Data Center.
The global corporations ALREADY have the ability to delete you.
AND ARE USING IT!
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion,
mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.
   -- John Stuart Mill

Here are the 10 RINOs who voted to impeach Trump on Jan. 13, 2021 - NEVER forget!
WY  Liz Cheney      SC 7  Tom Rice             WA 4  Dan Newhouse    IL 16  Adam Kinzinger    OH 16  Anthony Gonzalez
MI 6  Fred Upton    WA 3  Jaime Herrera Beutler    MI 3  Peter Meijer       NY 24  John Katko       CA 21  David Valadao

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I prefer for my home appliances to be as dumb as I am.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
I quit chasing the tech dragon a long time ago. We achieved comfortable living standards long before the internet based matrix came about, and we are to the point of marginal returns now. People are going to pay a steep price for a little bit of convenience.
The Republic is lost.

Offline berdie

Ab-so-lutely! :laugh:

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
If we are not careful we will end up a episode of One Step Beyond.

Like The Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond is a hosted anthology series about other-wordly phenomena. And while The Twilight Zone was explicitly a fictional show (with both science fiction and fantasy episodes), One Step Beyond purported only to tell stories based on "human record" (documented historical events).

Offline The_Reader_David

Quite, when making the assertion that you think your refrigerator is spying on you has ceased to be a sign of paranoid schizophrenia, and become, instead, the statement of a rational risk assessment, something has gone very wrong.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat

Or Black Mirror
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Most smart home stuff doesn’t automate as much as you might think. When matter devices become the standard hopefully this kind of thing will cease, as matter devices can live without a cloud connection.

Online roamer_1

Most smart home stuff doesn’t automate as much as you might think. When matter devices become the standard hopefully this kind of thing will cease, as matter devices can live without a cloud connection.

Better perhaps... But that still must either be separated from internet, or you must trust that the controller does not phone home, and cannot be overridden remotely.

Their intention is telegraphed by California having the temerity to assume control over heat and air in private homes. And that with no notice whatsoever. That kind of control is addictive, and that's where it is going, you can bet money.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Better perhaps... But that still must either be separated from internet, or you must trust that the controller does not phone home, and cannot be overridden remotely.

Their intention is telegraphed by California having the temerity to assume control over heat and air in private homes. And that with no notice whatsoever. That kind of control is addictive, and that's where it is going, you can bet money.

Matter devices can supposedly be run entirely by third party devices, completely disconnected from the cloud or internet. Should we trust them? Well... at least in theory you can have true privacy and use devices even if the parent company goes out of business. Of course, companies can always screw around in ways people anticipated.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
GT wrote:
"If we are not careful we will end up an episode of One Step Beyond.
Like The Twilight Zone, One Step Beyond is a hosted anthology series about other-wordly phenomena. And while The Twilight Zone was explicitly a fictional show (with both science fiction and fantasy episodes), One Step Beyond purported only to tell stories based on "human record" (documented historical events)."

Interesting that you posted that, because I'm currently in the process of watching ALL of the "One Step Beyond" original tv episodes.

You can find them on youtube, here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qApSk9DMrtY&list=PLmHgXUJMN1TVJBC22tHcibo0fqHqy-rqF&index=1
(the list, however, is not "in order")