Author Topic: If the battery is the key to an EV future, China's got a lock on it  (Read 178 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
If the battery is the key to an EV future, China's got a lock on it
Here's just how much the Chinese dominate in mining, production and research

Stephen Williams

The race to build a better (translation: cheaper) battery for the soon-to-come wave of electric cars has barely begun. But The New York Times has already declared a winner.

In a thoroughly researched article this week in the Times, called “Can the world make an electric car battery without China?,” the reporters conclude that the Chinese have already captured the prize. They are “so far ahead mining rare minerals, training engineers and building huge factories that the rest of the world may take decades to catch up.”

Bold predictions, but reporters Keith Bradshaw and Agnes Chang take pains to back them up, by detailing China’s super ambitious chain of production, from taking raw materials out of the earth to actually building the vehicles that use the lithium ion batteries.

Theirs is a scenario focusing on supply controls — mining ingredients such as cobalt, lithium, nickel, and more — that is likely to allow the Chinese a dominant position in the battery chase. And while Western countries are playing catch-up to source these materials, they have balked at investing “into countries with unstable governments or poor labor practices. And they have been slow to ramp up their own production,” the story goes on to say.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2023/05/16/if-the-battery-is-the-key-to-an-ev-future-chinas-got-a-lock-on-it/?mc_cid=6b3759f437&mc_eid=0b1369f9f8
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online mountaineer

Re: If the battery is the key to an EV future, China's got a lock on it
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 12:30:03 pm »
Here in the US of A, a few electric battery plants are being built, with the usual hoopla - including one just up the road from us. This will save our economy! Thousands of jobs! Prosperity! The future!

Except where will they get the raw materials?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org