Author Topic: U.S. production of critical rare-earth elements to start in 2024  (Read 181 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

U.S. production of critical rare-earth elements to start in 2024
Story by Craig Cole • Yesterday 1:13 PM

There are 17 rare-earth elements on the periodic table. These exotically named metals possess unique properties that make them useful in a huge range of high-tech applications, from powerful electric motors in the latest and greatest EVs to speakers, aircraft, guidance systems and even MRI machines. While not necessarily hard to find, rare-earth metals are difficult to extract and process, work that, today, is almost completely done overseas, an issue one American company is tackling head on.

The People's Republic of rare-earth elements
"China produces over 92% of permanent magnets today," said Tom Schneberger in an interview with EV Pulse. He's the CEO of USA Rare Earth, a company headquartered in Tampa, Florida that's striving to secure a reliable and commercially viable domestic source of these critical materials.

China's dominance in this field has obvious risks, a situation that Schneberger said is increasingly unpalatable for the U.S., EU and other major global regions. "And that's before you take into consideration the fact that these magnets are also used in defense, planes and artillery, and guidance systems," he added. A reliable local supply of rare-earth metals and the ability to process them at home is critical not just for a cleaner, greener future, but for national defense as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/other/u-s-production-of-critical-rare-earth-elements-to-start-in-2024/ar-AA1cydGz?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=665d47af3a024747909020af183245de&ei=47
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: U.S. production of critical rare-earth elements to start in 2024
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 11:35:47 am »
Biden still has plenty of time to stop the production.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: U.S. production of critical rare-earth elements to start in 2024
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2023, 12:03:18 pm »
Biden still has plenty of time to stop the production.

The current army of environmental activist groups will take care of that.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn