Author Topic: USCIS, a la Orwell, Decides Some Nonimmigrants Are More Equal than Others  (Read 109 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
USCIS, a la Orwell, Decides Some Nonimmigrants Are More Equal than Others
For $1,750, the paying nonimmigrants go to the head of the line

By David North on June 13, 2023
In what is supposed to be an egalitarian country, a once-egalitarian Biden administration has yet again followed the observation of the late George Orwell in Animal Farm that some pigs are more equal than others. It did so by extending “premium processing” — for $1,750 — to those aliens wanting to adjust to one of six nonimmigrant classes: F-1 and F-2 (academic students and dependents), J-1 and J-2 (exchange visitors), and M-1 and M-2 (vocational students).

“Premium processing” puts the applicant at the head of the line in terms of speed of processing, not the results thereof.

The press release (as reprinted by a law firm) can be seen here. The release does not share the cost of the fee, you have to look it up here.

The F and J statuses are for what is largely a middle- and upper-class population; the much smaller set of M documents go to those seeking industrial training.

Premium processing has been available to some other classes of aliens, such as the EB-5 program for would-be investors, for some time. Were USCIS to be properly managed, with an adequate fee structure, these special deals for the richer aliens would not be necessary.

https://cis.org/North/USCIS-la-Orwell-Decides-Some-Nonimmigrants-Are-More-Equal-Others
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson