Author Topic: Pigs Might Fly  (Read 161 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Pigs Might Fly
« on: June 14, 2023, 03:09:11 pm »
Pigs Might Fly
Fat chance

POSTED ON 11 JUN 23
BY MARK HODGSONIN 

A little over three years ago, the BBC’s Future Planet series informed us that “[a]round 2.4% of global CO2 emissions come from aviation. Together with other gases and the water vapour trails produced by aircraft, the industry is responsible for around 5% of global warming.” Worse still:

…emissions from planes are rising rapidly – they increased by 32% between 2013 and 2018. While improving fuel efficiency is gradually reducing the emissions per passenger, it is not keeping up with the rapid increase in total passenger numbers, which are projected to double in the next 20 years.

Seven years ago, CarbonBrief decided to do some sums and concluded that even if the aviation industry met its own targets, it would be consuming 12% of the global carbon budget compatible with the mythical 1.5C, by 2050. If it fails to meet its targets, things will be so bad that its share of that budget could rise to 27%.

https://cliscep.com/2023/06/11/pigs-might-fly/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson