Author Topic: Britain fires up coal plant as solar panels suffer in hot weather  (Read 162 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Britain fires up coal plant as solar panels suffer in hot weather
Story by Melissa Lawford, Chris Price, Benedict Smith • Yesterday 7:01 PM

Britain has started burning coal to generate electricity for the first time in a month and a half, after the heatwave made solar panels too hot to work efficiently.

One unit at Uniper’s Ratcliffe-on-Soar coal power plant in Nottinghamshire started producing electricity for the first time in weeks on Monday morning, while another coal-powered plant was warmed up in case it was needed by the early afternoon.

The National Grid turned to coal to generate electricity as a rush to turn on air conditioning and fans across the country during the heatwave led to a spike in demand.

High temperatures over the weekend also reduced the amount of energy generated from solar panels. Output on Sunday was almost a third lower than a week earlier, despite temperatures climbing above 30 degrees celsius across large parts of the country.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/britain-fires-up-coal-plant-as-solar-panels-suffer-in-hot-weather/ar-AA1cseMV?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=505e9e48b4d5445db765b6080be41a43&ei=18
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson