Author Topic: ‘Wheel of Fortune’ Host Pat Sajak to Retire After 41 Seasons: ‘It’s Been a Wonderful Ride’  (Read 943 times)

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/pat-sajak-retiring-wheel-of-fortune-1235641670/

by J. Kim Murphy
June 12, 2023

Pat Sajak is about to take his final spin. The longtime “Wheel of Fortune” host, who has been at the helm of the game show institution since 1981, will step away from the production after the end of his upcoming 41st season.

Sajak made the announcement on Monday afternoon.

“Well, the time has come. I’ve decided that our 41st season, which begins in September, will be my last,” Sajak wrote. “It’s been a wonderful ride, and I’ll have more to say in the coming months. Many thanks to you all. (If nothing else, it’ll keep the clickbait sites busy!)”

While Sajak will no longer be the face of “Wheel of Fortune,” he will continue a partnership with the program as a consultant, according to producer Sony Pictures Television.

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

Once in awhile over the years, during dinner time we'd tune in to Wheel of Fortune.  I always did pretty well.  Hubby and I still watch it once in a great while during dinnertime if he doesn't have some sort of news program on.

So, Sajak is retiring.  That's a long time for a game show to run. Will the show survive a different host??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

He's a witty conservative.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online Kamaji

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
"Any word in Vanna?"

Something tells me she will retire, too, even if the announcement doesn't come until much later.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

Online mountaineer

Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
mountaineer posted:
"Ryan Seacrest will succeed Pat"

Who is Ryan Seacrest?
I'd never heard of him before today...

Offline berdie

It doesn't really matter who they replace him with. It will take a long while for people to get used to a new host.

Much like Jeopardy...when the announcer says..." And your Jeopardy host Ken Jennings!"

Don't get me wrong, I like KenJen...but that announcement is for Alex! I don't recall having this reaction when Art Fleming left. But I was much younger then. :shrug:

Offline Polly Ticks

mountaineer posted:

Who is Ryan Seacrest?

He used to host American Idol, and he took over the hosting duties from Dick Clark for the New Year's Eve show.

I think he's probably a pretty good choice.  Pat Sajak is iconic, but Seacrest always came across as pretty personable, which should go a long way.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
He used to host American Idol, and he took over the hosting duties from Dick Clark for the New Year's Eve show.

I think he's probably a pretty good choice.  Pat Sajak is iconic, but Seacrest always came across as pretty personable, which should go a long way.

Wasn’t he also with Kelley Ripa as a co host when Regis died? @Polly Ticks
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Online roamer_1

As the Japanese say, "Hory Clap!"

41 seasons. Remind me to never start a Wheel of Fortune binge-watch... NCIS dang near broke me.

Offline Polly Ticks

Wasn’t he also with Kelley Ripa as a co host when Regis died? @Polly Ticks

Yep, that too.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
mountaineer posted:

Who is Ryan Seacrest?
A 40-something short white guy who succeeded Casey Kasem on American Top 40, hosted American Idol... has had some other hosting gigs.

All in all, Seacrest would be a decent fit for the show. He wouldn't get noticed as much as Sajak did because Pat had an acerbic sense of humor. But he's really second-banana to Vanna anyway, and that particular gig is pretty boring.

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
It doesn't really matter who they replace him with. It will take a long while for people to get used to a new host.

Much like Jeopardy...when the announcer says..." And your Jeopardy host Ken Jennings!"

Don't get me wrong, I like KenJen...but that announcement is for Alex! I don't recall having this reaction when Art Fleming left. But I was much younger then. :shrug:
Well, you also have to remember that there was a five-year gap between Art Fleming's last episode in 1979 and Alex Trebek's first in 1984. That, and there were a lot more game shows back then, they were generally buried in daytime, their runs were shorter and hosts came and went more quickly.