Author Topic: Five urgent steps to prevent American military defeat in the Pacific  (Read 90 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Five urgent steps to prevent American military defeat in the Pacific
By Rear Adm. Mark Montgomery (ret.) and Bradley Bowman
 Jun 12, 07:00 AM

As lawmakers in Washington move this month to consider the fiscal 2024 defense budget and annual defense authorization bill, the United States is on a path toward military defeat in the Pacific.

China’s strategic investments threaten to outpace the Pentagon’s ability to expand munitions stocks, integrate emerging technologies and weapon systems, and maintain the ability to fight at long distances from America’s shores.

Repeated wargaming of Taiwan conflict scenarios in the 2027 time frame demonstrates that even if the United States acts promptly and decisively once the conflict begins, American military forces would often be stretched too thin to support Taiwan quickly enough to prevent a fait accompli.

The good news is that such an outcome is not inevitable if Washington takes several steps this year. These include:

https://www.defensenews.com/opinion/commentary/2023/06/12/five-urgent-steps-to-prevent-american-military-defeat-in-the-pacific/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson