Author Topic: SCMP Admits a Regional Asian Carbon Tax Could Lead to Human Rights Abuses  (Read 153 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
SCMP Admits a Regional Asian Carbon Tax Could Lead to Human Rights Abuses
8 hours ago Eric Worrall 
Essay by Eric Worrall

“… However, a sufficiently high carbon tax with steady annual increases would still be the biggest game-changer.”

Climate change: region must follow Singapore’s example and enact carbon tax strategy

A region-wide carbon tax is long overdue to pave the way for a speedy reduction of emissions to protect the environment and accelerate green innovation

Chee Yik-wai
Published: 4:15pm, 11 Jun, 2023

Many people in Southeast Asia are feeling the effects of El Nino, as regional governments struggle to cope with unprecedented heatwaves. Electricity bills have shot up for many families trying to beat the heat, for example.

This raises the question of what can be done to tackle the problem. On that front, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) appears to be lagging behind the developed world in the carbon trading market and also in implementing a carbon tax.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2023/06/11/scmp-admits-a-regional-asian-carbon-tax-could-lead-to-human-rights-abuses/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Like whales and eagles, human rights abuses are a small price to pay for the climate scam. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson