Author Topic: More companies setting 'net-zero' climate targets, but few have credible plans, report says  (Read 406 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
More companies setting 'net-zero' climate targets, but few have credible plans, report says
Story by By FRANK JORDANS, Associated Press • Yesterday 6:52 PM

BONN, Germany (AP) — A growing number of companies are pledging to cut their greenhouse gas emissions to " net zero " as part of global efforts to tackle climate change, but that goal is rarely supported by a credible plan, according to a report published Monday.

The idea behind net zero is to stop adding planet-warming gas to the atmosphere, either by preventing the emissions in the first place or removing an equivalent amount through natural or technological means. Scientists say the world needs to reach net-zero emissions by 2050 to limit global warming to 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) compared with pre-industrial times.

The net-zero goal has gained traction in recent years. While 149 countries have such targets, up from 124 in late 2020, the number of publicly listed corporations aiming for net zero increased from 417 to 929, according to the Net Zero Stocktake report compiled by experts from four independent research organizations.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/more-companies-setting-net-zero-climate-targets-but-few-have-credible-plans-report-says/ar-AA1cq1Qt?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=81ac92e69c254ab6b1f60f1d74c00265&ei=19
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Like Bud Light, Target, and Disney, all of whom are virtue signalers. :yowsa:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It's all just "words on paper".
Nothing more.

In all likelihood, they will never become "anything more"...

Offline The_Reader_David

Of course, they are, because having any sort of targets other than earning targets give the C-suite denizens more excuses to pay each other fat bonuses.  Net zero is a great one, since you can use the shareholder's money to buy "carbon offsets" then get paid a fat bonus for your "leadership" in meeting the company's net zero target.  (A similar analysis applies to DEI "targets".)
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Kamaji

Of course, they are, because having any sort of targets other than earning targets give the C-suite denizens more excuses to pay each other fat bonuses.  Net zero is a great one, since you can use the shareholder's money to buy "carbon offsets" then get paid a fat bonus for your "leadership" in meeting the company's net zero target.  (A similar analysis applies to DEI "targets".)

:thumbsup:

Online mountaineer

Hermann Observer
@Clarsonimus
Jun 8
What do the Roman Warm Period (AD 100), the Dark Ages Cold Period (AD 650), the Medieval Warm Period (AD 1100) and the Little Ice Age (AD 1650) all have in common? They can have nothing to do with man-made CO2.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org