Author Topic: The tilt of San Francisco’s Millennium Tower has deepened as engineers work to reverse lean  (Read 739 times)

Online Kamaji

The tilt of San Francisco’s Millennium Tower has deepened as engineers work to reverse lean

By Katherine Donlevy   
June 11, 2023

It’s the leaning tower of San Francisco.

The Bay Area’s Millennium Tower has only continued to tilt further and sink deeper west in spite of architects’ best efforts to steady the ritzy building.

The multimillion-dollar-per-unit tower is now leaning more than 29 inches at the corner of Fremont and Mission streets — a slant over half an inch deeper than previously revealed, according to monitoring data reviewed by NBC Bay Area’s Investigative Unit.

The half-inch tilt was reportedly gained while engineers dug beneath the sinking condominium earlier this year to support the weight of the tower — which was built atop a former landfill — along its two sides.

Fix engineers saw progress in stabilizing the Millenium Tower’s north side along Mission Street after implementing six concrete-filled steel piles along its base in January, but it may have come at a cost to the tower’s west side, the data shows.

Source:  https://nypost.com/2023/06/11/san-franciscos-millennium-towers-tilt-deepens-as-engineers-rush-to-reverse-lean/

Online Kamaji

Wouldn't it be better to just take the building down?

Offline PeteS in CA

5 or 10 years ago I rooted around the Internet trying to learn whether the Millennium Tower was on pre-Spanish-colony land or on post-Gold-Rush landfill (landfill was being done as early as the 1850s). As best I could tell from comparing maps, the building is near where land ended and landfill began. I doubt that being on old shore land, landfill or half each would be a good choice. But SF politics ...
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

It is not IF it will fall down but when it will fall down. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline libertybele

Is there anything in San Fran that isn't a disaster??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Kamaji

It is not IF it will fall down but when it will fall down. 

That's what I'm figuring.

Online DB

Won't likely take a very big quake to cause major damage.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
The [many] comments at the original NY Post article are worth reading.

The more they try to "fix the problem", the worse the problem seems to be getting.

Not more than a few months ago, "the tilt" was 24" -- now it's 29" or so.

There's a guy with an architectural background on Youtube that has posted a piece or two on the Millennium Tower. He posts under the name "Building Integrity".  I believe the original pilings under the building went down only about 150 feet (in ground that is essentially "landfill"), whereas "bedrock" is about 250 feet down.

The idea was "more [but shorter] pilings". Then, they made an additional design change (again, to save money) -- build the tower out of concrete instead of steel frame construction (concrete is heavier). So... heavier weight + short pilings = tilt.

I'm thinking that even a mild earthquake could introduce an additional measure of instability, that could topple it right over in one piece, 53 stories tall. This won't be like the World Trade Center coming down.

Even if they could get additional support under it NOW (which I think is what they're trying on one side)... how are they ever going to "right it"?

Best remark in the Post's comments:
"They're fighting a loosing battle. This building will be condemned soon."

They're going to have to tear this one down.
Or... it's going to FALL down.

Choose.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 03:20:48 pm by Fishrrman »

Online DB

The [many] comments at the original NY Post article are worth reading.

The more they try to "fix the problem", the worse the problem seems to be getting.

Not more than a few months ago, "the tilt" was 24" -- now it's 29" or so.

There's a guy with an architectural background on Youtube that has posted a piece or two on the Millennium Tower. I believe the original pilings under the building went down only about 150 feet (in ground that is essentially "landfill"), whereas "bedrock" is about 250 feet down.

The idea was "more [but shorter] pilings". Then, they made an additional design change (again, to save money) -- build the tower out of concrete instead of steel frame construction (concrete is heavier). So... heavier weight + short pilings = tilt.

I'm thinking that even a mild earthquake could introduce an additional measure of instability, that could topple it right over in one piece, 53 stories tall. This won't be like the World Trade Center coming down.

Even if they could get additional support under it NOW (which I think is what they're trying on one side)... how are they ever going to "right it"?

Best remark in the Post's comments:
"They're fighting a loosing battle. This building will be condemned soon."

Choose.

The added supports are only 24" wide going down 250'... It doesn't take much shift of the land fill to completely buckle it, particularly with a little liquification...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

Choose.

I guess it depends on whether the inhabitants are rich or poor...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online DB

I guess it depends on whether the inhabitants are rich or poor...

Apparently very rich.

Offline PeteS in CA

Hypothetically, yes. But the Tower is not a 1/2-3/4 empty office building with one commercial real estate company owning it. In addition to the obvious expense of and risks inherent in demolition and the the months of disruption in the neighborhood, the Tower is condominiums, with hundreds of owners. Those owners will need to be compensated for their loss and moving expense, and they will be after every company that had a hand in designing and constructing the Tower ... and bankruptcies will complicate matters, probably bringing liability down on the City of SF. Ultimately, it would be better for the city to bite the bullet and get moving on the compensation and demolition processes, but Kick-the-Can-Down-the-Road politicians don't think in terms of decisive actions and actually solving problems.

Won't likely take a very big quake to cause major damage.

The SF Bay Area experiences not-very-big earthquakes - magnitudes 2-5 - pretty much every month or three. It's going to be a matter of years or even a couple of decades before the Millennium Tower gets to the point where a not very big quake would bring it down.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

That is why you should drive the pilings ALL THE WAY to bedrock.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 02:21:49 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Kamaji

That is why you should drive the pilings ALL THE WAY to bedrock.

:bingo: