Author Topic: Wrong, Washington Post, Climate Change Is Not Driving ‘Arizona’s Water Troubles’  (Read 154 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Wrong, Washington Post, Climate Change Is Not Driving ‘Arizona’s Water Troubles’
By Anthony Watts -June 9, 20230

On June 4, 2023, The Washington Post (WaPo) published a story titled “Arizona’s water troubles show how climate change is reshaping the West.” The claim that climate change is the driver behind water issues in the Western United States is false. It ignores the historical context of water issues that go back decades, the impact of population growth and development, and the current status of drought in the region.

In the article, WaPo make these claims:

The decision by Arizona in the past week to limit residential construction in some parts of the fast-growing Phoenix suburbs is another major warning about how climate change is disrupting lifestyles and economies in the West. Throughout the region, glaciers have receded, wildfires have expanded, rivers and lakes have shrunk. It has been a wet winter, but the deeper trends brought on by the warming atmosphere persist.

In one of the fastest-growing metropolitan areas in the country, it’s a boom time — water-intensive microchip companies and data centers moving in; tens of thousands of houses spreading deep into the desert. But it is also a time of crisis: Climate change is drying up the American West and putting fundamental resources at ever greater risk.

https://climaterealism.com/2023/06/wrong-washington-post-climate-change-has-no-effect-on-arizonas-water-troubles/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson