Author Topic: Massive Offshore Wind Project Gets Underway With Permission To ‘Take’ Endangered Whales  (Read 206 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Massive Offshore Wind Project Gets Underway With Permission To ‘Take’ Endangered Whales
Story by Nick Pope • Friday

A large offshore wind project off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard has begun nearly two years after federal regulators approved “take” permits for the project’s developer allowing for thousands of incidental killings of marine mammals, including dozens of whales protected under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and up to 20 endangered North Atlantic right whales.

Federal regulation allows for the approval of take permits for marine life so long as the permitted number of incidental deaths has a minimal effect on the longer-term viability of the species.
The construction process for the turbines necessitates underwater blasts of noise which “are louder than a jet engine at 25 yards” of distance, New England Fishermen Stewardship Association (NEFSA) President Jerry Leeman told the Daily Caller News Foundation.

A large offshore wind farm development project is underway off the Massachusetts coast nearly two years after the project’s developer received 20 “take” permits in June 2021 for the endangered right whale from environmental bureaucrats and regulators.

Vineyard Wind began offshore construction of the 62- wind turbine project Thursday, according to WBUR. During this summer’s construction of the offshore wind farm some 15 miles off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard, the company is permitted to incidentally kill up to 20 endangered right whales, according to the Federal Register entry for the project.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/massive-offshore-wind-project-gets-underway-with-permission-to-take-endangered-whales/ar-AA1cmh6A?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=d0869a75023f4af5a0dc06f943c193b4&ei=15
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

A large offshore wind project off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard has begun nearly two years after federal regulators approved “take” permits for the project’s developer allowing for thousands of incidental killings of marine mammals, including dozens of whales protected under the Endangered Species Act (ESA) and up to 20 endangered North Atlantic right whales.

Who and how is this to be monitored and what authority will they have?  Obviously, the project won't be stopped no matter what kind of killing goes on so its goodbye right whales. 8888crybaby
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
What?

Did anyone seriously think they'd stop this project while thousands of endangered raptors and other bird species are killed every year due to land based wind turbines?

The "green", "zero emission" agenda that lines pockets must continue unabated...what's a few eggs? :smokin:
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.