Author Topic: More than Half of the Pentagon’s Major Arms Efforts Are Late, GAO Finds  (Read 90 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
More than Half of the Pentagon’s Major Arms Efforts Are Late, GAO Finds
The watchdog urges the military to better follow commercial practices.
PATRICK TUCKER | JUNE 9, 2023 03:03 PM ET
DEFENSE BUDGET

The Pentagon’s uneven adoption of commercial practices is among the reasons more than half of its major acquisition programs are late, according to a new report by the Government Accountability Office.

Those delays are affecting a wide variety of key weapons such as the Air Force’s Sentinel intercontinental ballistic missile and the Navy’s Zumwalt destroyer, programs that are part of efforts to deter large, high-tech adversaries.

But it’s not all bad news. GAO praised some programs, including some that use the Middle Tier of Acquisition pathway, for using “certain product development practices aligned with key product development principles employed by leading companies.”

Those principles include things like:

https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2023/06/more-half-pentagons-major-arms-efforts-are-late-gao-finds/387378/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson