Author Topic: Trump, lawyers part ways after federal indictment  (Read 4508 times)

Offline libertybele

Trump, lawyers part ways after federal indictment
« on: June 09, 2023, 07:18:49 pm »
Here we go again!  This is my concern.  Trump is going through lawyers -- I understand why they resigned, but definitely not a good sign especially since he's due to appear in court soon.  These are federal charges.  7 federal charges and prior to that he's facing 34 other charges.  IMHO not a snowball's chance that he's not going to do time.

Trump, lawyers part ways after federal indictment

Former President Donald Trump and two of his top attorneys representing him in Special Counsel Jack Smith's investigation parted ways Friday, just a day after he was indicted.

Trump, the current front-runner in the 2024 Republican presidential primary, was indicted on at least seven counts involving obstruction of justice, conspiracy, and illegal retention of classified government material. He has been ordered to appear in federal court in Miami on Tuesday. The indictment remains under seal.

The lawyers representing him ahead of his indictment, Jim Trusty and John Rowley, resigned Friday.

"This morning we tendered our resignations as counsel to President Trump, and we will no longer represent him on either the indicted case or the January 6 investigation," Trusty and Rowley said in a statement. "It has been an honor to have spent the last year defending him, and we know he will be vindicated in his battle against the Biden Administration’s partisan weaponization of the American justice system."

"Now that the case has been filed in Miami, this is a logical moment for us to step aside and let others carry the cases through to completion," they added. "We have no plans to hold media appearances that address our withdrawals or any other confidential communications we’ve had with the President or his legal team." ............

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-to-bring-on-new-legal-team-after-federal-indictment
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 07:20:18 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Trump, lawyers part ways after federal indictment
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 07:26:41 pm »
Trump is moving on from defense lawyers to trial lawyers.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 07:29:03 pm »
This is not good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2023, 07:38:11 pm »

He needs both; ultimately a very good, solid, unbeatable team of lawyers.  He's gone through several lawyers, so, no, things are not looking up for Trump.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DB

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2023, 08:19:52 pm »
He needs both; ultimately a very good, solid, unbeatable team of lawyers.  He's gone through several lawyers, so, no, things are not looking up for Trump.

Lawyers can't do much when their client knows best and can't shut up.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 08:24:17 pm »

Trump does know exactly what happened.  He also knows that he's fighting against a corrupt DOJ that wants to prevent him from running again AND he also knows he's done what other presidents have done.

So in the aspect, he needs to keep voicing what happened.  His lawyers need him to tell them everything; not for him to shut up.

His biggest problem is finding lawyers that are trustworthy and competent which may be very hard to do considering how corrupt our DOJ is.

Offline DB

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2023, 08:31:02 pm »
Trump does know exactly what happened.  He also knows that he's fighting against a corrupt DOJ that wants to prevent him from running again AND he also knows he's done what other presidents have done.

So in the aspect, he needs to keep voicing what happened.  His lawyers need him to tell them everything; not for him to shut up.

His biggest problem is finding lawyers that are trustworthy and competent which may be very hard to do considering how corrupt our DOJ is.

The government wouldn't have a tape of him talking about what they are charging with if he would have kept his mouth shut.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:34:20 pm by DB »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2023, 09:21:45 pm »

I don't think this is about preventing him from running at all. Quite the opposite. They want him to be the nominee with this heavy millstone tied around his neck adding certainty that he loses the National election to Bided who will be  running from his basement again. Best thing for him to do is end his bid for the Whitehouse and back the only person who can Pardon him if he is convicted. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Idiot

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2023, 09:45:33 pm »
I don't think this is about preventing him from running at all. Quite the opposite. They want him to be the nominee with this heavy millstone tied around his neck adding certainty that he loses the National election to Bided who will be  running from his basement again. Best thing for him to do is end his bid for the Whitehouse and back the only person who can Pardon him if he is convicted.
Absolutely agree with you 100%.  BUT as we all know, Trump's ego won't allow him to fade into the sunset.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:47:05 pm by Jack Russell »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2023, 10:04:28 pm »
:yowsa:

1)  He's never going to shut up, won't follow your advice, and likely will try to put you into compromising ethical situations

2) He's probably going to dispute your bill and try to force you to give him a discount.

That's why Trump had guys like Michael Cohen doing his legal work -- because the better lawyers don't want to deal with the headaches and heartaches Trump is sure to bring.  And why should they?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:05:51 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2023, 10:08:03 pm »

His biggest problem is finding lawyers that are trustworthy and competent which may be very hard to do considering how corrupt our DOJ is[/b].

That's not why he can't find trustworthy and competent lawyers -- DOJ has nothing to do with that.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2023, 10:08:52 pm »
The fact that his lawyers are walking away cannot bode well for Trump...

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 10:28:58 pm »
The government wouldn't have a tape of him taking about what they are charging with if he would have kept his mouth shut.

Exactly.

The details in that indictment are interesting.  Normally, things like intent in these kind of cases can be very difficult to prove, which is why prosecutions can be so difficult.  As we all know, there were classified documents found at Pence's house, Biden's etc..  But one defense they'll all use is to say "Hey, there were many thousands of documents in those boxes, I never went through all those boxes, and so didn't even know those classified docs were in there. Sorry -- here they are."

Now, you may think that's a lame excuse, but that doesn't make it any less effective in those kind of cases where you have to prove every element, including state of mind, beyond a reasonable doubt.

The problem for Trump is that he apparently shot off his mouth to various people from whom sworn testimony has been obtained.  And that testimony is that he knew he had classified documents, actually showed those documents to social acquaintances who didn't even have security clearances, while stating that he probably shouldn't be showing those documents to them.  I mean, WTF????  He also directed people to move boxes that he knew had classified documents to places where his attorneys would not be looking.  And it goes on an on.

This is serious stuff, and I honestly never thought it would be that bad.  His defense of "well, other Presidents did the same thing" is going to fall pretty damn flat because he just isn't going to be able to show that.  It's just...ridiculous.  And immature as hell, like he thinks it's some giant game or something.

That is just mind-numbingly stupid conduct.  It's the mindset of a kid who steals something and then shows his friends because he wants them to think he's cool.  I honestly hoped/expected this would all be just the criminalization of ordinary conduct.  It isn't.  Trump has screwed himself.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 10:30:10 pm »
The fact that his lawyers are walking away cannot bode well for Trump...

And those were well-respected, non-sleazy guys with a lot of experience.  And they've apparently decided to run away from the coming train wreck as fast as they can.  And I don't blame them in the least.

Offline LMAO

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 10:45:01 pm »
Exactly.

The details in that indictment are interesting.  Normally, things like intent in these kind of cases can be very difficult to prove, which is why prosecutions can be so difficult.  As we all know, there were classified documents found at Pence's house, Biden's etc..  But one defense they'll all use is to say "Hey, there were many thousands of documents in those boxes, I never went through all those boxes, and so didn't even know those classified docs were in there. Sorry -- here they are."

Now, you may think that's a lame excuse, but that doesn't make it any less effective in those kind of cases where you have to prove every element, including state of mind, beyond a reasonable doubt.

The problem for Trump is that he apparently shot off his mouth to various people from whom sworn testimony has been obtained.  And that testimony is that he knew he had classified documents, actually showed those documents to social acquaintances who didn't even have security clearances, while stating that he probably shouldn't be showing those documents to them.  I mean, WTF????  He also directed people to move boxes that he knew had classified documents to places where his attorneys would not be looking.  And it goes on an on.

This is serious stuff, and I honestly never thought it would be that bad.  His defense of "well, other Presidents did the same thing" is going to fall pretty damn flat because he just isn't going to be able to show that.  It's just...ridiculous.  And immature as hell, like he thinks it's some giant game or something.

That is just mind-numbingly stupid conduct.  It's the mindset of a kid who steals something and then shows his friends because he wants them to think he's cool.  I honestly hoped/expected this would all be just the criminalization of ordinary conduct.  It isn't.  Trump has screwed himself.

yup
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2023, 10:59:24 pm »

Those guys WERE trial lawyers.  Did you read their bios? 
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline DB

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2023, 11:10:18 pm »
Jonathan Turley: This indictment is a ‘serious threat,’ ‘significant impact’

https://www.foxnews.com/media/new-trump-indictment-documents-whole-different-ballgame-jonathan-turley

Turley seems to know what he's talking about.

Offline corbe

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2023, 11:39:28 pm »
   Jury's still out for me but it's looking more and more like another Trump obstinate moment where he decided to get into a pizzing contest with the Presidential Record people, unfortunate, but that is what I expect of Trump. 
   Reminds me of the Aesop Fable 'The boy who cried Wolf'. 
   Why would you expect me to believe you this time?
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2023, 12:05:52 am »
If you know they're out to get you, why make it so easy for them?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2023, 12:13:05 am »
Jonathan Turley: This indictment is a ‘serious threat,’ ‘significant impact’

Robert Barnes
@barnes_law

Any executive branch document created before or during a Presidency is the President's to do with as he pleases. That's the point of The Presidential Records Act. It has to be that way to keep Constitutional power in the hands of the only elected official of the executive branch.

7:26 PM · Jun 9, 2023

Offline Idiot

« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2023, 12:20:34 am »
Robert Barnes
@barnes_law

Any executive branch document created before or during a Presidency is the President's to do with as he pleases. That's the point of The Presidential Records Act. It has to be that way to keep Constitutional power in the hands of the only elected official of the executive branch.

7:26 PM · Jun 9, 2023
I wonder what his poll numbers will be when he's in jail?

Offline corbe

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2023, 12:26:58 am »
   They should put him in Ghislane's cell.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline DB

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2023, 12:43:50 am »
If you know they're out to get you, why make it so easy for them?

There's a basic rule to not arm your enemy. Trump can't help himself. I sure looks like Trump is going down on this one, short of jury nullification or a pardon.

Offline MeshugeMikey

• the anti trump
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2023, 12:52:33 am »

Offline Idiot