Author Topic: Trump’s GOP primary rivals react to classified documents indictment  (Read 403 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Trump’s GOP primary rivals react to classified documents indictment
By Snejana Farberov   
June 9, 2023 9:02am

Former President Donald Trump’s unprecedented federal indictment over the mishandling of classified documents was met with mixed reactions from his 2024 GOP presidential primary rivals — with some expressing tepid condemnation while others blasted the prosecution as a “mortal threat to a free society.”

The Justice Department was expected to make public a seven-count indictment charging the 76-year-old with willful retention of national defense information; conspiracy to obstruct justice; withholding a document or record; corruptly concealing a document or record; concealing a document in a federal investigation; scheme to conceal; and false statements and representations.

Trump released a statement Thursday proclaiming his innocence and railing at “the corrupt Biden Administration” over what he called “the Boxes Hoax,” referring to the cache of classified documents that were discovered at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach.

Here’s how his political adversaries reacted to the news:

Ron DeSantis

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, Trump’s chief opponent in the race for the GOP nomination, condemned his rival’s indictment, which marks the first time in US history that a former president has faced federal criminal charges.

“The weaponization of federal law enforcement represents a mortal threat to a free society,” DeSantis tweeted Thursday. “We have for years witnessed an uneven application of the law depending upon political affiliation. Why so zealous in pursuing Trump yet so passive about Hillary or Hunter?”

Chris Christie

Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, a former Trump ally-turned-critic, wrote on Twitter that he will wait until “the facts are revealed” to issue a full statement — but he did not miss an opportunity to take a dig at his opponent.

“We don’t get our news from Trump’s Truth Social account,” wrote Christie on Twitter. “Let’s see what the facts are when any possible indictment is released. As I have said before, no one is above the law, no matter how much they wish they were. We will have more to say when the facts are revealed.”

more
https://nypost.com/2023/06/09/trumps-gop-primary-rivals-react-to-classified-documents-indictment/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

Interesting that Christie is the only one taking a jab at Trump.

The rest of the candidates are standing with Trump.  Christie is toast.  He's in it for the money only!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The rest are hoping that Trump gets taken down and taken out of the GOP Primary.  But, they want to position themselves to be in the good graces of the MAGA's so they will get the votes and campaign contributions that would have gone to Trump.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The rest are hoping that Trump gets taken down and taken out of the GOP Primary.  But, they want to position themselves to be in the good graces of the MAGA's so they will get the votes and campaign contributions that would have gone to Trump.
That may well be, but at least they have that much political savvy.

Christie didn't make that cut.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Christie is running as GOP Primary bad cop ... a wrecking ball to attack Trump while the others get to pander to the MAGA's.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 02:51:02 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.