Author Topic: El Niño officially arrives early: What it means for 2023 weather  (Read 183 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
El Niño officially arrives early: What it means for 2023 weather
by: Alix Martichoux

Posted: Jun 8, 2023 / 10:11 AM CDT

Updated: Jun 8, 2023 / 01:37 PM CDT

(NEXSTAR) – El Niño has arrived.

The Climate Prediction Center announced Thursday that El Niño conditions were present and expected to grow stronger in the coming months. Forecasters give it a 56% chance of developing into a strong El Niño, and an 84% chance of topping “moderate” strength.

This year’s El Niño has shown up ahead of the typical schedule. In the past decade, El Niños have started in late summer or early fall. Its early appearance “gives it room to grow,” Climate Prediction Center meteorologist Michelle L’Heureux, told the Associated Press.

This year’s El Niño is expected to keep building and remain strong through the 2023-2024 winter.

El Niño arrives early: What it means for rest of 2023
This year is predicted to be the inverse of what we’ve seen the last three years, in which we have had back-to-back La Niña seasons.

El Niño typically brings cold, wet winters to the Southern U.S. A strong El Niño, in particular, is associated with lots of rain for the Southwest and California — though California already saw a cold, wet winter this year, even without El Niño in control.

On the other hand, El Niño usually means a warm, dry winter for the Pacific Northwest, Ohio Valley, northern Rockies, and parts of the Midwest. Hawaii also often sees below-average rain during an El Niño fall, winter, and spring season.

https://www.borderreport.com/news/el-nino-officially-arrives-early-what-it-means-for-2023-weather/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson