Author Topic: 'A train wreck coming': Americans brace for the return of student loan payments  (Read 726 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
'A train wreck coming': Americans brace for the return of student loan payments

The resumption comes as the Supreme Court deliberates student debt forgiveness.
ByPeter Charalambous
June 8, 2023, 4:14 AM

Jamilla Vanbuckley would like to buy a home one day.

A correctional counselor in New York City, Vanbuckley has been living with her parents and tucking as much money as possible into her savings account. But by late summer, she expects a new expense to enter her monthly budget – gradually paying off the $68,000 she owes in student debt.

"I'm gonna have to dip into my savings to start paying back on August 29," she said, mentioning the day that payments for direct federal student loans are set to resume. "And now that kind of hinders the goals I had set for myself for the next couple of years."

Vanbuckley is among the 37 million borrowers who have not been required to pay their student loans since March 2020 due to legislative and executive action during the pandemic.

Education Secretary Miguel Cardona confirmed in May that the Biden administration intends to restart student loan payments by 60 days after June 30, a plan later cemented in the government's deal to suspend the debt ceiling.

However, advocates worry that the resumption of payments and the legal challenges to President Joe Biden's plan to cancel up to $20,000 in student debt can result in catastrophic consequences for vulnerable borrowers.

The uncertainty comes amid a change in debt servicing companies for millions of borrowers and staffing shortages that experts see as unprecedented in consumer finance, resulting in logistical headaches, hourslong wait times, and potential communication errors in billing.

more
https://abcnews.go.com/US/train-wreck-coming-americans-brace-return-student-loan/story?id=99881469
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

She's packing money into a savings account while ignoring her contractual obligations? STFU - and grow up.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
It's hard being a Gen Zer.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Kamaji

Boo, hoo, hoo.

Suck it up, buttercup.  I've been paying my student loans for 20 years.

Online mountaineer

My student loan had a 10-year repayment period, but I did it in 6 or 7 because I hated the idea of being in debt.

Offline PeteS in CA

You take out a loan for ______, and afterward you pay off the loan. What is so hard to understand about this?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online DefiantMassRINO

I didn't get a break from making my mortgage payments.

The little entitled bastids should be grateful for the reprieve they got.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

You take out a loan for ______, and afterward you pay off the loan. What is so hard to understand about this?
Too adult - and rational - for the snowflake generation.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

You bourgeois capitalistic pig, you.

Offline DB

I didn't get a break from making my mortgage payments.

The little entitled bastids should be grateful for the reprieve they got.

For TWO friggen years!

Offline PeteS in CA

You bourgeois capitalistic pig, you.

Oink!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Wingnut