Author Topic: Worst air quality in 20 years grips New York City, creates apocalyptic-looking skyline  (Read 421 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NEWS
Worst air quality in 20 years grips New York City, creates apocalyptic-looking skyline
The famous New York City skyline disappeared on Wednesday afternoon as smoke from the Canadian wildfires continued to flow into the region. In the most impacted areas, breathing smoke-filled air is equivalent to smoking 5-10 cigarettes.

By Allison Finch, AccuWeather staff writer

Published Jun 6, 2023 8:46 AM CDT | Updated Jun 8, 2023 3:59 AM CDT

Wildfire smoke from Canada fills skies over the Northeast

Skies across the northeastern United States were orange and hazy as smoke from wildfires burning in Canada swept into the region on June 6.

Hazy skies, the fiery, red sun, and the smell of smoke caught the attention of residents from Maryland to New England on Tuesday. The air quality spiked to very unhealthy levels across the Northeast on Wednesday morning as wildfire smoke from Canada poured into the region.

On Wednesday morning, the famous New York City skyline once again disappeared behind a hazy veil. Photos and videos shared on social media captured the eerie glow of the sun as it rose above some of the most famous skyscrapers in the Big Apple.

“Took this on my roof [Tuesday]. Looked apocalyptic,” one Twitter user wrote.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/unhealthy-air-quality-grips-new-york-city-as-wildfire-smoke-shrouds-skyline/1537145?utm_source=retirely&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=mixi
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Can't the US sue Canada for all the pollution its creating? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

FWIW, the air is substantially better today than it was yesterday.

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
FWIW, the air is substantially better today than it was yesterday.

Talked to my son yesterday who lives less than a mile from the Hudson River about 35 miles north of NYC and has a clear view of it - usually.  Yesterday he said he couldn't see it.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kamaji

Talked to my son yesterday who lives less than a mile from the Hudson River about 35 miles north of NYC and has a clear view of it - usually.  Yesterday he said he couldn't see it.

It got pretty bad in NYC in the early afternoon, and then by about 4 or 5 it had substantially lightened up.  This morning, one can still see a little bit of smoke-induced haze in the air, but it's nothing like what it was yesterday.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Kamaji wrote:
"This morning, one can still see a little bit of smoke-induced haze in the air, but it's nothing like what it was yesterday."

Same here in SW Connecticut. Much better today.