Author Topic: NYC Mayor Eric Adams sues 30 New York counties for refusing to house migrants  (Read 107 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NEW YORK CITY Published June 8, 2023 8:54am EDT
NYC Mayor Eric Adams sues 30 New York counties for refusing to house migrants
Mayor's office says claims that housing migrants is a threat to public safety are 'baseless'

New York City Mayor Eric Adams is suing 30 New York counties over local executive orders intended to stop the city from housing migrants in their towns.

Adams, a Democrat, announced a lawsuit Wednesday that calls actions by these counties an "unlawful attempt" to prevent New York City from responding to a statewide emergency and humanitarian crisis. The lawsuit asks the court to declare the local orders null and void.

"This lawsuit aims to put an end to this xenophobic bigotry and ensure our state acts as one as we work together to manage this humanitarian crisis fairly and humanely, as we have done from the beginning and as we will continue to do," Adams said in a statement.

New York City has been overwhelmed by tens of thousands of migrants pouring into the five boroughs in the past year. The mayor's office said more than 74,000 asylum-seekers have sought shelter in the city to date — most entering the U.S. from the southern border — with more than 47,200 currently being housed by the City of New York. Hundreds of migrants are arriving daily, with as many as 900 individuals coming to the city in some weeks in May.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/nyc-mayor-eric-adams-sues-30-new-york-counties-refusing-house-migrants
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson