Author Topic: Rural Oregon movement to join 'Greater Idaho' gains traction with vote in 12th county  (Read 1095 times)

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
 Published June 8, 2023 5:43am EDT

Wallowa County became the 12th Oregon county to join the "Greater Idaho" movement when special election results on the measure were finalized Tuesday.

The vote originally took place in May, with preliminary results showing support for the effort leading by only 21 votes. After all votes were finalized in June, the lead shrunk to only seven votes, narrowly avoiding the state requirement for a recount.

The "Greater Idaho" effort originally began in 2020 as an idea for large swaths of rural eastern Oregon to secede and join the more conservative Idaho to get away from the western, progressive part of the state.

With Wallowa County's vote, 12 out of 12 counties that have held an election on a "Greater Idaho" measure of any kind have voted in favor of exploring the move.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/rural-oregon-movement-join-greater-idaho-gains-traction-vote-12th-county
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online mountaineer

I have a friend in eastern Washington who probably would like his county to be part of that movement.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

I have a friend in eastern Washington who probably would like his county to be part of that movement.

Except Spokane, and maybe Kennewick, I bet you do...  :beer:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Is this even possible?

Or legal,AFATG?

I just don't see Oregon being willing to give up on all that tax money coming in.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online mountaineer

Except Spokane, and maybe Kennewick, I bet you do...  :beer:
Bickleton
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline cato potatoe

The last thing a leftist politician wants is an escape hatch.  Just recall the iron curtain, and watch how blue states haunt their refugees.  No chance the Oregon legislature will allow counties to leave by vote.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
cato wrote:
"No chance the Oregon legislature will allow counties to leave by vote"

Well, they could just take down the OR state flag at all the county offices, courthouses and police stations -- and hoist the Idaho state flag instead.

What are the OR leftists on the west side of the Cascades gonna do about it?

(I post this as a serious scenario)

Offline Kamaji

The last thing a leftist politician wants is an escape hatch.  Just recall the iron curtain, and watch how blue states haunt their refugees.  No chance the Oregon legislature will allow counties to leave by vote.

:thumbsup:

Offline roamer_1

cato wrote:
"No chance the Oregon legislature will allow counties to leave by vote"

Well, they could just take down the OR state flag at all the county offices, courthouses and police stations -- and hoist the Idaho state flag instead.

What are the OR leftists on the west side of the Cascades gonna do about it?

(I post this as a serious scenario)

Your serious scenario misses a point: Sovereignty. The state must cede. No other state has any enforcement authority. And that ain't a matter of a vote, or the will of the people.

I say that, btw, in full favor of cutting off the west coast cities... Though this likely ain't how.

Offline Kamaji

Your serious scenario misses a point: Sovereignty. The state must cede. No other state has any enforcement authority. And that ain't a matter of a vote, or the will of the people.

I say that, btw, in full favor of cutting off the west coast cities... Though this likely ain't how.

Exactly.