Author Topic: ‘Perry Mason’ Canceled After Two Seasons on HBO  (Read 791 times)

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
‘Perry Mason’ Canceled After Two Seasons on HBO
« on: June 08, 2023, 11:41:00 am »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/perry-mason-canceled-hbo-2-seasons-1235508659/?fbclid=IwAR21QS_DlXdxp95WOmw5Tjknbw-49sr3CAJA_NGcASBbpRLGiAEehiUSnUg

HBO has returned an unfavorable verdict on Perry Mason.

The drama starring Matthew Rhys as the title character has been canceled after two seasons. The series, a reworking of the classic courtroom show of the 1950s and ’60s, is produced by Robert Downey Jr.’s Team Downey.

“We are tremendously grateful for the remarkable work of Matthew Rhys and the unrivaled cast and crew of Perry Mason for their reimagining of such a treasured and storied franchise,” HBO said in a statement. “While we won’t be moving forward with another season of the series, we are excited to continue working with the brilliant creatives at Team Downey on future projects.”

Perry Mason premiered in June 2020 to solid audience numbers, and Rhys would earn an Emmy nomination for his lead role. HBO renewed the series midway through its first season.

EXCERPT

This is a very stupid, short-sighted decision by HBO, and exactly why I generally don't make those kinds of time investments in TV series anymore.  Perry Mason was the best written show on the service, with great acting by Matthew Rhys, Chris Chalk, and Juliet Rylance.  So instead of developing it for another season or two, they yank it and replace with some drivel called "The Idol."  Jeez!

Social Media erupted at the news too...

“S**tshow Formerly Known As HBO”: TV Show Cancellation Has Social Media Fuming

https://screenrant.com/perry-mason-season-3-cancelled-hbo-reactions/?newsletter_popup=1
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline goatprairie

Re: ‘Perry Mason’ Canceled After Two Seasons on HBO
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 04:00:11 am »
The wife and I started watching this incredible pile of fecal matter and gave up after one truly ridiculous episode that made absolutely zero sense. That the people who thought this up must have been on a coke and meth bender is the only thing we could think of about the show.
If bore absolutely no resemblance to the Raymond Burr/Perry Mason show.
Today's tv and movie writers and creators must be living on Bizarro World their ideas are so utterly vapid and stupid.

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 10:32:23 am »
The wife and I started watching this incredible pile of fecal matter and gave up after one truly ridiculous episode that made absolutely zero sense. That the people who thought this up must have been on a coke and meth bender is the only thing we could think of about the show.
If bore absolutely no resemblance to the Raymond Burr/Perry Mason show.
Today's tv and movie writers and creators must be living on Bizarro World their ideas are so utterly vapid and stupid.

Well that's because Raymond Burr's 'Perry Mason' bore little resemblance to Erle Stanly Gardner's 'Perry Mason,' who was a real rogue and skirted the law in his cases.  The HBO series was more faithful to the original character than Burr's portrayal, and I thought the show was well-written and acted, and I enjoyed the noir and jazz element of early 1930s Los Angeles.  Just my opinion.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2023, 07:11:52 pm »
Well that's because Raymond Burr's 'Perry Mason' bore little resemblance to Erle Stanly Gardner's 'Perry Mason,' who was a real rogue and skirted the law in his cases.  The HBO series was more faithful to the original character than Burr's portrayal, and I thought the show was well-written and acted, and I enjoyed the noir and jazz element of early 1930s Los Angeles.  Just my opinion.
Your description of Mason from Gardner's novels (which I've neve read) is not what I read from reading negative reviews of the modern PM. The most critical reviewers in fact said that the new PM strayed too far from the original PM novels.
At any rate, the wife and I hated the first episode and basically don't give a damn if it was faithful or not. It stunk.

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2023, 07:40:53 pm »
Your description of Mason from Gardner's novels (which I've neve read) is not what I read from reading negative reviews of the modern PM. The most critical reviewers in fact said that the new PM strayed too far from the original PM novels.
At any rate, the wife and I hated the first episode and basically don't give a damn if it was faithful or not. It stunk.

Well, rather than reading reviews about what other people said, you should read the original material for yourself and then form your own opinion on that basis instead.

Start with The Case of the Velvet Claws (1933), The Case of the Howling Dog (1934), The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (1935), and The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (1935).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Mason_bibliography

https://www.fictiondb.com/series/a-perry-mason-mystery-erle-stanley-gardner~1437.htm

And yes I am a fan. 

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 08:51:42 pm »
To think that this show would still be alive if HBO had pulled a Netflix and cast a black actor for Perry Mason.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2023, 08:52:58 pm »
Oh well. Within two seasons they would have gayified it and changed the name to 'Fairy Mason'.
The Republic is lost.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2023, 09:06:31 pm »
Oh well. Within two seasons they would have gayified it and changed the name to 'Fairy Mason'.

Which would be ironic, considering Raymond Burr was a closeted homosexual.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online corbe

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2023, 09:13:38 pm »
Which would be ironic, considering Raymond Burr was a closeted homosexual.

So was the DA Hamilton Burger (William Talman).
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2023, 09:36:06 pm »
Well, rather than reading reviews about what other people said, you should read the original material for yourself and then form your own opinion on that basis instead.

Start with The Case of the Velvet Claws (1933), The Case of the Howling Dog (1934), The Case of the Caretaker's Cat (1935), and The Case of the Counterfeit Eye (1935).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Mason_bibliography

https://www.fictiondb.com/series/a-perry-mason-mystery-erle-stanley-gardner~1437.htm

And yes I am a fan.
I don't care how the original novels portrayed Mason. The first episode was so weirdly awful we didn't care.  It didn't make any sense.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2023, 09:39:44 pm »
   So was the DA Hamilton Burger (William Talman).
Really? I found no mention of him being a  homosexual in on-line bios like at IMDB. Talman had three wives and five children. Can you provide a source?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 09:40:54 pm by goatprairie »

Online corbe

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2023, 10:18:21 pm »
Really? I found no mention of him being a  homosexual in on-line bios like at IMDB. Talman had three wives and five children. Can you provide a source?

I am an avid original Perry Mason Fan @goatprairie and I base my assumption on observing his mannerisms during the filming of the series, especially the early ones.  At the least he was bi, IMHO or maybe his Friend Raymond just rubbed off on him.  Burr seemed to tone it down, Talman was incapable, to a degree. 
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Timber Rattler

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2023, 10:29:05 pm »

He was busted at a nude drug and swinging party.  The charges were later dropped but CBS fired him.  Raymond Burr went to bat for him though and got him reinstated.  That's why there're several different no-name prosecutors in those episodes while Talman was out for 10 months.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=YigjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=5gQEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5954,1315558&dq=william+talman+fired+perry+mason&hl=en

https://original.newsbreak.com/@herbie-j-pilato-1590342/2926409938726-original-perry-mason-star-william-talman-was-arrested-and-fired-for-lewd-and-vagrant-behavior

It wasn’t just any marijuana party but a “nude marijuana party,” according to the Los Angeles Mirror-News, March 14, 1960. Plus, officers found “dirty movies, spicy books, and lewd photos.”

"The N. Curson apartment," ITC relayed, "part of a building supposedly built by Charlie Chaplin, was rented by ad exec Richard Reibold. Besides Talman, the group consisted of Reibold, Talman’s friend, James H. (Jimmie) Baker, Peter, and Suzanne Hespelt, and three women, in their twenties or thirties: a Mrs. Peggy Louise Flannigan, a Mrs. Willie Donovan, and all-around bad girl, Miss Lola DeWitt.

According to the Knoxville News-Sentinel, dated March 14, 1960, Sheriff’s Capt. Richard B. Brooks said, "We found seven people, all nude, in one bedroom. Some were on the floor and some were on the twin beds. When we saw the nudes we summoned the vice squad and officers from there helped us."