Author Topic: HSI Arizona joins law enforcement partners to disrupt networks facilitating fraud schemes  (Read 128 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
JUNE 7, 2023PHOENIX, AZFINANCIAL CRIMES
HSI Arizona joins law enforcement partners to disrupt networks facilitating fraud schemes

PHOENIX, Ariz. — Over the past three months, special agents with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) partnered with federal, state and local law enforcement officials operating in Arizona in a national campaign to disrupt networks used by foreign fraudsters who obtain proceeds through various schemes. The campaign addressed conduct by individuals sometimes referred to as “money mules” who serve fraudsters by receiving money from victims and forwarding proceeds to perpetrators, many of whom are based overseas.

“During the initiative, HSI and partnered agencies successfully identified a variety of fraud schemes used to exploit these individuals, including computer technical support scams, romance scams, lottery scams, Internal Revenue Service imposter scams, and employment scams,” said HSI Arizona Special Agent in Charge Scott Brown. “I want to thank everyone who participated in this targeted initiative — there is no doubt that our actions have a profound impact on those who were either unaware of their actions and those who proactively engaged in fraudulent activity. Law enforcement is monitoring closely in efforts to stop these financial schemes.”

In Arizona, law enforcement took approximately 52 disruption actions against those responsible for facilitating a range of fraud schemes, including romance and lottery schemes. During the same time period around the United States, law enforcement officials took over 4,000 disruption actions against such individuals.

https://www.ice.gov/news/releases/hsi-arizona-joins-law-enforcement-partners-disrupt-networks-facilitating-fraud
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson